Feeding small larvae blackworms?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
I'm currently raising some Triturus and Pleurodeles waltl larvae. They are just getting to the feeding stage. Some in a warmer area have been growing fairly fast and almost have full front legs...but this tank has lots of mulm and food for them. Other tanks/larvae may not be that fortunate though I've added lots of plants and seen them snapping at things.

I've added in finely chopped blackworms, but I can't tell if they are eating them. Usually I would use microworms,daphnia, or artemia nauplii. But on CC it mentions that their are cases of larvae being raised only on blackworms. Are such small larvae conveniently able to consume blackworms? Or do I have to get some artemia(not a problem, will likely do in any case).

I have had great success using only blackworms when feeding newt larvae. At first I chop them finely into like a "soup" if you will. Later chopping them less and less. The great thing about blackworms is that even cut down to a 1/16 or less they still wiggle! I have had no problems with losing larvae this way.

A word of caution, this makes the water dirty fast and along with changing the water daily, the excess that was not eaten must be taken out after awhile.

Mitch

Although the are people who report great success raising their larvae with just blackworms i think it´s always good to err in the variety side. Variety in diet is important, and i think it should be encouraged...

Have you actually seen newly hatched/very young larvae eat the blackworms?

It seems when young part of the problem is they are very sedentary and I've never seen them move much more than a few mm to get in range of something. Usually they prefer to wait for stuff to almost bump into them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back