Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What gender is my axolotl, and why he have small gills?

Edwa24

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new in this forum. Three days ago I got my first Axolotl. The bottom of the tank filled with gravel, and that was bad idea... He began swallowing gravel, thanks god that the gravel was small. Now he (i think) pooped out all the gravel and now he is feeling better. So, the question is Shiro (name of my axolotl) is male or female? I think he is a male. :) Here is some photos (Shiro is very young). And why his gills is so small? First two photos was taken in a first day. Sorry for my english if it's bad, im from Lithuania. :)
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Edwa24

Reaction score
Do not show up the gender o_O ?
Then can you tell me why Shiro's gills are so short? And is it bad?

CJ1981

Reaction score
The pictures will not open so we can not see them. Could you try up loading them again please? Thanks

Edwa24

Reaction score
Sorry for that. Now must show. :eek:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I really think that Shiro is a boy, but I don't know why his gills are so small and is it normal? :uhoh:

Attachments

• DSC_0413.JPG
    DSC_0413.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 3,314
  • DSC_0Huh.JPG
    DSC_0Huh.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 3,106
  • DSC_0471.JPG
    DSC_0471.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 2,186

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Your axolotl is to small to sex. You can't sex them until they start getting around that 6-7 inch mark. Short gills could be from poor water conditions or just your animals genetics. Test your water chemistry. pH and ammonia. If you don't have a test kit do a small 10% water change once or every other week and see if this helps. If this is a new tank less than two months old your tank my be cycling. If it is do it 2-3 times a week until the tank is cycled properly.

Niels D

Reaction score
You're using gravel as a substrate. This can cause impaction when swallowed. I recommend that you get rid of it and start using a different kind of substrate like sand or no substrate at all. Be sure to check the caresheet on this site for more tips.

Edwa24

Reaction score
I was using gravel in the first day when i got Shiro, but now there is no gravel in a tank. As soon as possible I will buy a quartz sand. :)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
My second axolotl's gills were very small when I got him. Apart from the water conditions he was kept in, it might be that he was bitten by other axolotls, his nutrition or his age. My second axolotl (Galaxy) got better with cool, clean, tested water and plenty of earthworms (two a day of small 'hooker' dendrobaenas which were tiny enough for him to eat whole).

Your new baby just needs you to take care of him with good quality water and good food, his gills should get bigger in no time :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1