The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 12th August 2009   #1
groldigger

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: groldigger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help please. Is it fungus?

Hey,
I started frdiging my axolotl two days ago because he seemed really stressed (he wasn't eating) and i thought he had something lodged in some part of his body (the fridging was supposed to help everything flow out of him). I got home today to do a 100% water change and noticed he is looking really bad. He has white stuff on his gills and they appear to be shrinking a bit. please help what should i do?
I really dont want him to die but he just doesnt seem to be going very well at all. Should i do a salt bath?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00472.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	7493   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00474.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	7494  

groldigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009   #2
Rayson
(Darkmaverick)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11
Default Re: Help please. Is it fungus?

Frankly, the first thing i thought it looked like was a case of parasites. There is evidence of fungal infection too. I would commence salt baths 2x daily preferably 8-10 hours apart for the 1st week and taper down to 1x daily for the 2nd week. That should eradiate fungal elements and also most parasites.

Old 12th August 2009   #3
groldigger

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: groldigger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thanks for your help i will start the baths tomorrow. How much salt should i add per litre? Some websites say 2-3 teaspoons per litre, whilst others say 1 teaspoon per 2 litres. It is all a bit misleading.

groldigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009   #4
Jacquie

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11

Hi Groldigger,

Salt bath in conjunction with fridging:

-Prepare a tub of fresh water using the dechlorinated water stored in the fridge.

-Dissolve two to three teaspoons of salt per litre of water (suitable salts are: sea salt, kosher salt or fresh water aquarium salt - do not use table salt!).

-Take axolotl out of the fridge, and transfer him to the bath.

-Leave axolotl in the bath for ten minutes, no longer than 15 minutes though, as the salt will start to damage his gills and skin.

-While the axolotl is soaking in the salt bath, empty the other tub, and replace the dirty water with fresh fridged dechlorinated water.

-At the conclusion of the salt bath, transfer the axolotl back to that container and pop back in the fridge.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fungus