Resolution Salamandering

Schell

Reaction score
Country
United States
This was a post I put together for FHF a few months ago. I thought you might enjoy it.

I was planning on waiting until I actually returned from this trip to post the results, however seeing that it's 23:00 on New Years Eve, I'm literally the only guest at a hotel in northern Siskiyou County 50 miles from the nearest bar, my wife is already asleep and I'm watching Top Gear top 40 Countdown, I figure, ehh... I've probably got the time to start it.

I decided that the last thing I want to be doing in 2011 and the first thing in 2012 is take advantage of the three long weekend to go herping, well salamandering to be a bit more specific. I packed up my 4Runner with my wife and dog and off we went to State of Jefferson.

There was a bit of a question mark whether I'd have any success with the cold weather and lack of precipitation, but what the hell, I didn't have anything to lose. And considering the alternative consisted of going to a party, getting drunk and feeling like **** for two days. I figure why not, right?

I'd consider day one a success. I stopped by two sites looking for target species number one. I wasn't quite sure how to find this species. However, at site number three, I hit pay-dirt.

I located 4 adults and two separate juveniles without to much difficulty. Without the stress of having to be anywhere, my wife read her book and my dog bedded down for a nap while I settled in for a photoshoot.

Here are the results:

Adult Shasta Salamander (Hydromantes shastae)
Hydromantesshastae01.jpg

Another adult Hydromantes shastae
Hydromantesshastae02.jpg

Adult Hydromantes shastae in-habitat
Hydromantesshastae03.jpg

Juvenile Hydromantes shastae
Hydromantesshastae05.jpg

Another, slightly more colorful juvenile Hydromantes shastae
Hydromantesshastae04.jpg

And lastly a palmetto-shaped Hydromantes shastae foot-shot
Hydromantesshastae06.jpg

Hope everyone is having a Happy New Year - I will update this post over the next couple of days as the trip progresses.

Begin the second half of the trip

I honestly wish I could say that the trip ended as successfully as it began, but it did not. When I awoke sober on New Years Day, a first for me in probably a decade, 29 degree temperatures and the hard frozen ground greeted us. Undeterred, I still went after my intended targets for the day. After 4-5 hours of flipping rock, I was left with one Oregon Ensatina (that I didn't voucher) and a very sore back.

I did manage to flip this though: A California Forest Scorpion (Uroctonus mordax)
Uroctonusmordaxmordax01.jpg

I'm assuming that the cold, dry weather was the culprit, and resigned myself to a return trip in April to get the other two.

With the cold weather, heading west to more temperate climates was in order.

I stopped by a couple of places on the way out west to try and pick up Rana aurora to which I was greeted with many no trespassing signs. I did, however manage to see a ringtail on the road - no pictures though. So after a long day of epic fail, we checked into the hotel in Arcata sulking from royal skunking I had received.

Not having any photos to process for the day, I took the opportunity at the hotel to do some research into a couple of drive-by spots that I might possibly hit on the way home. We left the hotel and had a proper breakfast and hit the road. A short while later, we made a detour for a hike through the redwoods. The trail was very well established without much to flip and what I did flip was bone dry underneath. Hope was dwindling.

I did manage to make the most of our hike, stopping to shoot some very groovy subjects:

Parrot Mushroom or Toadstool (Hygrocybe psittacina) aka: Witches Hat
Hygrocybepsittacina01.jpg

And a closer shot of the Hygrocybe psittacina cap and gills
Hygrocybepsittacina02.jpg

Also these were abundant: Scarlet or Crimson Waxy Cap (Hygrocybe punicea)
Hygrocybepunicea01.jpg

I know almost nothing about mushrooms or fungus, hell, I don't really even care for them as food, but I do find them to be really cool photographic subjects. Go-figure.

With the day wearing on and no herps had yet been found, we shot up a small dirt road with fingers crossed. I pulled the truck over to let a local pass and my wife pointed out a pair of marginal looking logs next to the road that were almost not worth getting out of the truck to flip. Don't you love how every once in a while, as soon as you think you know something, life has a way of smacking you upside the head?

Under log one was my consolation prize for the trip: I know they're not uncommon, but they're still a cool animal and all the photos I have previously taken were totally worthless. These guys are seriously tough to shoot!! I managed to come away with a couple shots that are usable:

Black Salamander (Aneides flavipunctatus)
Aneidesflavipunctatus02.jpg

Black on black
Aneidesflavipunctatus01.jpg

Honest opinions, please... What do you guys think? Keepers or can 'em?

Recall I said a pair of logs? Sitting under log #2 was this:

Subadult Pacific [Coastal] Giant Salamander (Dicamptodon tenebrosus)
Dicamptodontenebrosus02.jpg

And while grubbing around trying to find a spot to shoot the previous two finds, I flipped a couple more denizens of the forest all within about 10 meters of one another.

Adult male Oregon Ensatina (Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis)
Ensatinaeschscholtziioregonensis02.jpg

Juvenile Oregon Ensatina (Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis)
Ensatinaeschscholtziioregonensis03.jpg

Although I only found one of my three targets, I found five species of salamander (Batrachoseps attenuatus is not represented here) and everyone had a pretty good time. Certainly the trip was more constructive than abusing my liver at a New Years Party.

Thanks for reading and if you haven't yet, please check out my facebook page at Rob Schell Photography | Facebook.

This account and others are archived on my website at Rob Schell Photography | Wildlife and Nature Photography. I also have many photos from other trips posted there.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob, thanks for sharing such a great account and wonderful photos with us! Nice find on the terrestrial Dicamptodon - not an easy one to come by.

Thanks John! I tend to find quite a few terrestrial Dicamptodon - shooting them though is another story.

Good lord! Your photography is breath taking, and the subjects are even better XD

Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us!

I wish in addition to the "Like" button, there was "Like x 10" button :D

This adds nothing to the discussion....but need to say that your photography is simply amazing.

Gorgeous photos. It looks as if all the salamanders have some sort of gold-leaf under their skin! If I ever visit California again, I'd love to go herping!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back