Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Would this be an okay starter tank for an axolotl?

jaref14

Reaction score
This is my first post on here and I just started to look into getting an axolotl. I was just wondering if this tank would be a good startup tank - Aqua Culture 20-Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit With LED - it's only available at Walmart and it would be the easiest way to get one. Anything will help.

Krispy

Reaction score
If your lotl is just a few inches big, that should be okay until it grows bigger. I also recommend that you order a sponge filter rated for a 40-50gal tank or a nicer HOB or cannister filter instead of using the cheap walmart HOB filters, they are unreliable and cheaply made.

Krispy

Reaction score
I believe the tank you specified is a 20gal tall. There is less floor space in a 20 tall than a 20 long. If you're getting an adult, a 20 long is the better option.

If you are hard pressed to find a 20 long, a lot of people use storage tubs/totes as make-shift tanks. I've done this myself, and it works great. Just make sure you don't over-fill them because if there is too much water and the sides are bulging out too much, the plastic can stress and crack.

Justjay

Reaction score
The largest tank you can comfortably afford is the answer for any species you keep.

It is always a good idea to find out the minimum size for an aquarium kept pet then double it if you can

Justjay

Reaction score
I believe the tank you specified is a 20gal tall. There is less floor space in a 20 tall than a 20 long. If you're getting an adult, a 20 long is the better option.

If you are hard pressed to find a 20 long, a lot of people use storage tubs/totes as make-shift tanks. I've done this myself, and it works great. Just make sure you don't over-fill them because if there is too much water and the sides are bulging out too much, the plastic can stress and crack.

I don't believe any species should live in a tote.... if you can, di your best to stimulate its natural environment

Krispy

Reaction score
I don't believe any species should live in a tote.... if you can, di your best to stimulate its natural environment

A tote is the same idea as a tank, just different material, plastic instead of glass. I don’t keep any axies in tiny shoeboxes, if that’s what you’re thinking. I’m talking about the huge, extra durable storage bins, the right one can be a great alternative to a 30/40gal tank. The flat under the bed ones are wonderful lowboy tank alternatives for juries. Plastic totes/bins are also easier to clean in my experience.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1