Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help, Axolotl skin infection or fungus?

Cubby

Reaction score
IP5PGpS.jpg

uUkIcoB.jpg

lKdDu98.jpg

I’ve noticed these bump/blister areas on my axie’s skin for a couple weeks now. When I first noticed, I made sure to be diligent about changing the water regularly and checking the levels. At first the nitrates were a little high, but they’re ok now. The temp is about 18 Celsius. At first he was acting a little more sluggish than usual, but after I changed his water he was more active again, and then just yesterday he started acting sluggish again. The blister-like areas come and go all over his body, they were on his face, legs, gills, body, and tail, sometimes they flake off, but they keep coming back. Can anyone help?

I’m not entirely sure how to add images here so I hope I did it right.

Krispy

Reaction score
I'm having trouble seeing your pictures. It sounds like it may be fungus.

When you refer to flaking, are you sure the slime coat isn't peeling, just the bumps?

Cubby

Reaction score
I’m not positive but it appears to be only the affected areas of skin that peel off. I tried linking the images from Imgur, is there a better way to be able to view them? Sorry I’m new to this forum.

Cubby

Reaction score
Had some issues with posting pictures but they are in the reply below this post.

The first pic is just general bumpy-skin looking areas on his body... the second one shows the more blister-like areas, some look clear and others look whitish. I’ve also noticed his caudal fin looks to be shrinking or deteriorating. :( please someone help me, I really love my little guy.

Last edited:

Cubby

Reaction score
Here are the pictures

Attachments

• image_6483441(1).jpg
    image_6483441(1).jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 2,291
  • image_6483441.jpg
    image_6483441.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 505

Cubby

Reaction score
He is in the fridge right now, and I will be seeking vet care this week since no one seems to know what’s going on :(

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Sorry I don't know what it is. Maybe be fungal or bacterial? A vet trip is a good idea! Let us know how it goes

Cubby

Reaction score
Update: The vet swabbed his skin and said it’s a bacterial infection, not fungus. She gave me liquid antibiotics to soak him in for 6 hours a day for 10 days. I will update after 10 days with the results.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!