Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Male only has one sweetehart?

chemgrl08

Reaction score
I have a tank with 3 females and 1 male. They are all happy, healthy, and getting along, and I've even had several batches of eggs from one pair. There's only one male, so it's obvious who the father is. In addition, with every batch (about 4 so far), I have seen only one female laying the eggs. That means that for whatever reason, the male keeps picking this single female- no other sweethearts for him! lol I don't really have a problem with it, but I was just curious as to whether this was normal behavior. Perhaps this female is just particularly healthy/attractive in the eyes of a male axie? :wink:

millerj76

Reaction score
Maybe the other 2 females are not sexually mature? or maybe the male now knows which female is the easiest 'lay'. Maybe it is neither, but it does sound strange, would you consider maybe moving the female that has laid the four batches of eggs, so as not to overstress her, as laying the eggs takes a lot out of the female, i am not demanding this, as it is entirely up to you what you do with your 'pets', just suggesting. Also, if a female is overbred, she can become 'eggbound'. What colour are your axolotls, are the females all the same colour, could the male have a preference, or is he mating with same colour as himself. Either way, i hope your axxies are all doing well, cheers,,john

chemgrl08

Reaction score
Re: Male only has one sweetheart?

Thanks for your thoughts. I was actually considering moving the female for a while just as you said, so now that you suggested it independently I will probably move her. They haven't been breeding at a blistering pace, but I can imagine it might take it's toll on the female, as you said. The male is a leucistic and the female is albino, while the two neglected females are wild type and melanoid, so yes, there is a big difference in color. All of them should be sexually mature though; I purchased them all at the same time/same age, and I've had them for a year and a half.
Hmm. Strange. Oh well. If anyone else has ideas on why this is happening, please feel free to contribute!

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
moving the female that has laid 4 times already may spark the males interest to breed with one of the other females and prove if they are in fact sexualy mature.

good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1