Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Sand Substrate Effects?

Emberaria

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to Axolotl keeping and have myself 2 beautiful babies of my own. I've had them for 1-2 weeks now? At first I was keeping them in a 10Gallon tank with gravel, but like everyone else, I soon enough found them nomming on the rocks (uh oh) So I went online a purchased "CaribSea Super Natural Premium Aquarium Substrate". Got it today and rised it ohh lets say 5 times... in a 5 gallon bucket. I placed it in my aquarium, filled it once more (my Axxies are in a tuperware at that moment). The water is kinda sorta cloudy. This doesnt bother me much until I place my lil guys in their tank and they are sorta flipping out? Swimming all over the place. They had accidentally swallowed some of the sand cause I watched them spit it back out...

So much question is, are they going to be okay? I dont want them stressed and I dont want them to suffocate? Should I put them back in the tuperware until the tank clears out?

Thanks... any advice helps :c

Cacique

Reaction score
I'm not really sure if the sandy water would freak them out. Just to ask, did you dechlorinate the water when you filled the tank? And have you tested the water parameters? And what is the temperature in the tank?

Connor

Reaction score
Wouldn't think the cloudy water would cause as much of a problem, assuming your parameters are correct it could of been due to the sudden change in temperature ?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Check the pH of your normal tap and then the tank and see if it's been drastically changed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!