Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Illness maybe?

Jiggly93

Reaction score
My axolotl Moomin has started to swim frantically just below the water line back and forth along the length of her tank, i have a video uploading to youtube so can post a link when it's done (crappy internet so might take a while).

She's never really done this before so i'm not sure what's going on, could it be a water problem, is she bored, nervous, scared or is this normal?

lmj65

Reaction score
I am no expert, so I would defer to others on this question. However, I have seen it posted several places that behavior like this is usually related to a problem with water conditions. You might want to check your water parameters to see if something is off.

Cacique

Reaction score
It would help to know the temperature of the tank too, it's usually not normal for them to swim frantically back and forth from what I've read.

HayleyK

Reaction score
I wouldn't call that frantic swimming... But it does look uneasy. What are your parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and temp) if all these are in check I wouldn't be so worried some axolotls are active. Mine are active in the evenings or after feeding. However I would be inclined to raise your water level. Axolotls like tank water to be atleast the same length as them, deep, or around 30cm deep. More water = more space and better water quality as there is more water to dilute the waste.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!