Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can I put my lotl in a cloudy tank?

mooflakes

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got a new tank (40g thanks to the petco sale) and I added sand and it's very cloudy. (considerably less cloudy since I put the sand in, though.) It's been a couple days and the poor thing has been in a tupperware the entire time.

tumblr_nit3c8VrTa1r8oot5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nit3c8VrTa1r8oot5o2_1280.jpg

My iphone camera isn't the best as you can see on the rim of the tank so it looks a LITTLE more cloudy than it is. :)

The water parameters are fine.

Also, I'm considering getting another lotl (an adult so he doesn't eat it). Is that a good idea in a 40?

Cacique

Reaction score
I think you could fit another axolotl in there. My inclination would be to wait for the water to clear but I understand being impatient and wanting to get him in his new home and out of the tub. I noticed that you only have a sponge filter in there and I wonder if that might be too small for a 40 breeder. Maybe adding a HOB can help provide both the extra filtration needed, but trap the small sand particles in filter floss/sponge.

mooflakes

Reaction score
I think you could fit another axolotl in there. My inclination would be to wait for the water to clear but I understand being impatient and wanting to get him in his new home and out of the tub. I noticed that you only have a sponge filter in there and I wonder if that might be too small for a 40 breeder. Maybe adding a HOB can help provide both the extra filtration needed, but trap the small sand particles in filter floss/sponge.

I ordered a larger up-to 40g sponge filter and I'm not really sure what a HOB is. :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!