Help figuring out cause of death?

beaniesnbowties

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tonight, my little golden albino passed away. he was a baby, about 2 inches in length. today he started floating. it began as just his rear/tail. i went on to work then came back hours later. he was floating at the top of the tank, slightly tilted sideways. i was instructed by the breeder to allow him time in a tub of cold water(treated with conditioner) but not to fridge just yet. hours later, he had passed away. i do not know why. the tank parameters were fine (ammonia 0, ph 7.2). his feet were red. his stomach was also red and bloated. he rarely ate(ive had him for a few weeks, kept im a fully established tank 10G tank). im adding pictures. can anyone help explain what migjt have caused his death? the look of his underside worries me a lot and i know it shouldn't appear like that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 195
I'm sorry.
From the looks of the redness I'd say bacterial infection which progressed to septacaemia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back