Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Columnaris or fungus? Please help identify

katyaq

Reaction score
HELP HELP HELP HELP! Fungus infection help!

I was away for a month and left my boyfriend in charge of feeding my axolotls. I came home to find one almost already dead covered in fungus and the other showing it.
He claims that when he fed them 6 days ago they didn't seem sick. I believe him, he's an animal lover and he would have tried to help. Maybe it had already started but he couldn't tell.

I have decided to euthanize the one that is worse off. She is barely moving and I don't think she will recover, I do not want to make her suffer anymore. I don't know what type of fungus this is and so I don't know how to treat it. Her veins are very red and her skin looks like its flaking off in areas. Does anyone know what type of fungus this is and how to treat it? I am so heart broken and frantic right now

Attachments

• 20171011_193109.jpg
    20171011_193109.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,724
  • 20171011_193114.jpg
    20171011_193114.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 817

katyaq

Reaction score
Re: HELP HELP HELP HELP! Fungus infection help!

Thanks for responding. I have been doing salt baths every day, peroxide baths every other day and they are fridged. Methyline blue is banned in Canada because it is carcinogenic. I actually think it's a columnaris infection and have been treating it as such. The white patches have come off with the salt baths but their veins are quite red and pronounced through their body. I am having trouble finding good pictures of columnaris affected axolotls to compare.

katyaq

Reaction score
I came home after a week long vacation to a dead axolotl and 2 sick tank mates. The dead one was covered entirely in white sticky slime and a few small red lesions. The other most affected girl had white patches on her that seemed to be falling off. I initially thought it was fungus but after researching diseases I suspect it is columnaris and have been treating it as such following the instructions on the thread in this section. However, I cannot find any pictures that corroborate what I think based on the written descriptions

Can anyone identify the illness in this picture?

Last edited by a moderator:

katyaq

Reaction score
After treating her with salt baths the white patches have ploughed off, but she has very prominently red veins showing since I started treatment.

I have followed the treatment plan suggested by the thread on this page, except that methyline blue and furan are banned in Canada for being carcinogenic, so I have also mixed kanaplex with bloodworms and frozen them into cubes to try and get them to ingest it orally, but since they are fridged they are not eating much

Attachments

• 20171014_154515.jpg
    20171014_154515.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 842
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!