Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: White on FBN lower jaw

katietbh

Reaction score
I currently have five Chuxiong fire-bellied newts. I bought them from a private breeder about a year and a half ago. Mine are captive bred, however he said the parents were wild caught and looked slightly different from the norm.

I have never had any issues with them. I bought all five together so I did not quarantine them or anything. They are all good eaters, and I feed them frozen thawed bloodworms maybe twice a week or as needed. They are active, and physically appear to be healthy and content.

I am in the process of upgrading their tank to a nicer, bigger planted tank. I’ve noticed that my newts all seem to have some white on the bottom of their mouths. It’s been like this for as long as I can remember really, with no real change or progression. I was super afraid that it could be some kind of moth rot or fungal infection, so I figured I’d make this post.

When I was cleaning their tank, I removed and looked at each newt. The white line that they each seem to have on their lower jawline is not visible when they are out of water and there is nothing that feels like it is protruding from their mouths.

I’ve scoured through other posts on this website yet nobody seems to be having the same issue.

One thing I did consider was that maybe it was just rubbing damage. I do often hand feed them with tongs, so maybe they are scraping their mouths when they bite? During feeding time they also occasionally nip at one another.

I do not want to move them to their new tank until I figure out if they are okay. Any suggestions/opinions are appreciated. I might just be being paranoid but better safe than sorry.

Attached are some pictures for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_4927.jpg
    IMG_4927.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_4935.jpg
    IMG_4935.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks more like scrapes than sores. Do they have any rough rock/stone in their tank? I don't think it's anything to worry about. Mouth sores usually manifest as ulcerated areas and are easily identified.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!