Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Keeping plants Epipremnum aureum with salamanders?

ntny

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Question is it safe to keep plants Epipremnum aureum aka "money plants" with salamanders?
I used to keep simple bare tanks with coco coir and coconut hides but I have read plants can very useful in maintaining vivrariums along with some wood lice cleaning crews:D

Recently I started to add topsoil/garden dirt to coco coir and they seems fresher!
I hope to add some very Low light and tough plants to make the vivrarium better

Thanks and cheers

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Epipremnum aureum are more commonly known as Pothos. I have them in all of my tanks- they are one of the few plants I am actually successful at keeping alive. They are a vivarium staple, and yes they are safe for amphibians.

ntny

Reaction score
Hello herping man,

Thanks for advice
Great to hear these plants are good for vivrariums.
I read the sap are toxic any concerns about this for salamanders?
I only have ambient room light and some indirect sunlight for all my vivrariums. Is this sufficient for pothos? My substrates are pretty dry as i notice wet substrate invites some fungus grants/files
Another thing i read wood lice will require a wetter substrate to survive. I am not sure about this.
Thanks

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I, too, have read that they have a toxic sap. However my sallys climb around on them with no ill effects. Lots of frog keepers use pothos too.
Pothos seem to do well in low light. Spider plants, wandering jew, heart leaf philodendron, and Syngonium (arrowhead) are all easy to keep in a vivarium.

ntny

Reaction score
Hi herpin man,

Thanks for asvice
i have just planted some pothos in my vivraiums
Lets see how they do under low light.
Btw do you also keep isopods aka woodlice?
Do you really need wetter substrates to survive?
Is springtails better or woodlice better as clean up crews?
Thanks

ntny

Reaction score
Hello folks,
i started adding some 20 isopods "woodlice" to all my setups each.
but to my surprise it seems my caudates ate all of them! doing weekly maintenance, i dug the soil and can't seems to find any isopods left...
now i added tiny springtails hopefully they are so small the caudates will ignore them.
anyone has same experiences with isopods?
thanks

ntny

Reaction score
Hello folks,
just some updates, i have tried growing Pothos plants in my low light vivariums but all seems to wither and perished after 1 month or so...
i read The Zamioculcas Zamifolia, aka ZZ Plant, is SUPER low light and tough as Nails!
but i also read it is toxic in all parts...
may i know if these tough as Nails ZZ plants is safe to use in vivariums with salamanders?
Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!