Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: 15 babies just went belly up - not dead !! what on earth now ???

llekias

Reaction score
I just fed my 2 week old baby's bbs that I bought fresh from the local marine shop ... I have been using their bbs with no problem
I did the same as usual with the straining as so on but within 5 - 10 minutes 15 of the babies went belly up literally !!
they are very lethargic and are literally floating upside down --- ie belly up !!
I am afraid they will die as they don't look very good
before feeding I always check them and they all looked really good
I immediately removed all the babies from the original tank and rehoused them with fresh water
why would they turn over like that on their backs ? bad bbs ?

I have had a few do this previously with some living and some dying !

llekias

Reaction score
ok on rereading - that looks a little confusing ,,I do mean my baby axies went belly up !

llekias

Reaction score
hi there
thanks for the info . It is air bubbles in their tummies
I have no idea why and even stranger they all did it within 10 minutes
they are very temperamental little things lol
about half have recovered and the other 8 or so are still upside down
hopefully things will be better by morning

lorraine

blip29

Reaction score
hello Lorraine same thing happened to me i was so up set and i can see the air bubble i hope he gets better

llekias

Reaction score
After many many hours of care , we are proud to announce that we have 55 very healthy baby axies !! they all have back legs now and very developed front legs.
Now eating whole black worms and looking very cute !
There is a huge size difference from the smallest to the biggest !
I now have them separated according to size after a mishap when one of the biggest had one of the smallest right in his mouth !!!
We have been very lucky and not lost any for the past 4 weeks !

they have been quite costly to raise and very very time consuming but we just adore all our babies! Not so sure if we are going to ever be able to part with any of them !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1