Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl back lump?

ebonykrow

Reaction score
Hey all,

I picked this axolotl up two days ago, the previous owner had mentioned that she had a lump on her back due to an old injury that's fully healed. I just wanted to double check and see if anyone had seen this type of thing before?

2013_01_07_18_05_36.jpg

2013_01_07_18_07_10.jpg

esn

Reaction score
Is that other axolotl yours or one that you picked up with her? I'm sorry to nitpick, but putting an axolotl that has an unidentified issue in with your own axolotls without quarantine is only asking for problems to spread.

That's definitely a mystery lump. It could be a mysterious extra body part, but I don't know if you'd be able to identify its true nature without taking a sample of it to have it tested. It could be a tumor or any number of things. It's especially hard because you don't know exactly when it originated.

ebonykrow

Reaction score
Hey Elena thanks for your reply. Feel free to nitpick away, I only want the best for these guys and if I'm doing something wrong I'd rather know about it.
The male came with the female from the same owner, same tank. The tank was home to five in total and none of the others had anything similar. "1 female gold with lump on back behind head from injury when she was young (fully healed)" This was all the information I have about it.

esn

Reaction score
Hey Elena thanks for your reply. Feel free to nitpick away, I only want the best for these guys and if I'm doing something wrong I'd rather know about it.
The male came with the female from the same owner, same tank. The tank was home to five in total and none of the others had anything similar. "1 female gold with lump on back behind head from injury when she was young (fully healed)" This was all the information I have about it.

Unfortunately I haven't seen anything like that before, and can't guess too well at it without knowing exactly how it occurred. Some axolotls do have mysterious growths, and that does not look like any parasite that I know. I'd say monitor the condition and get an idea of how long it's had it. If it is generally healthy otherwise, I'd call it benign. You could take the axolotl to a vet and they'd be able to sample it, but I'm guessing if the axolotl has had it for quite a while and if it really was grown from an injury, it's not anything to worry about. The axolotl does not look to be in too bad of condition otherwise.

Monitor it, and if all remains well with the axolotl and she eats well, then don't worry too much about it. It would be nice to get a vet's opinion, however. To me it just looks like a fatty mass of tissue. The red portion at the bottom of the ball might have something to do with blood circulation stopping there at the fatty mass, but I'm just making guesses at this point.

ebonykrow

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I'm a little more at ease. All normal behaviour for now. I'm going to make sure I get a good look at it each day and if there is any growth or change in colour etc I'll take her to the vet.

I'm calling her Nana since she looks old and sort of battle-worn haha.

ebonykrow

Reaction score
Just a quick update. The lump is now gone. I think she might have caught it on the edge of her tunnel as the first day I found it hanging by a thread of skin and the next day floating on the bottom. There was barely a wound and she has been her normal ugly but now slightly more beautiful self since.

FX1C

Reaction score
Thanks for the update :)

They look so cute together :D

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!