Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie mouth injury - serious?

Misterbluesky

Reaction score
Last night I noticed my axolotl was a bit more spirted than normal. She was swimming around more frantically than usual, gulping air from the top, and acting strange. She ate her worm like normal when I fed her.

This morning I checked on her only to discover that she has an injury on her top lip. It almost looks as though she's split it or torn it. There was a little blood this morning, but it seems to have all washed away now. I don't know if the injury is the result of her bashing into a log/rock during her strange swimming, or if the swimming was her flipping out over the injury - but either way, it looks pretty darn awful.

I know that axolotls can regenerate limbs, tails, and parts of their organs, but does this regenerative ability extend to all parts of their body, and will her mouth heal completely?

What are the signs of infection, and should I consider refrigerating her if it does become infected?

Tephra

Reaction score
All parts can regenerate, not to worry.

I would give her some tea baths, and keep her in cold, clear water to speed up the healing process.

Axolotls easily get fungus on open wounds however, be on the lookout for it. It will most likely look white and cottony. If that becomes the case, you should proceed onto salt baths.

But as long as no fungus appears, just tea baths.

And keep her fed, she needs the energy to heal.

If you can, post some pictures.

Misterbluesky

Reaction score
This is the clearest picture I could take, with her doing her usual glides across the bottom.

She's still eating normally and seems no worse for the injury.
I can only hope she doesn't get a fungus or infection, and I'll watch her very closely. The water's been getting a little warmer than I'd like lately, but I've been keeping the AC on, a fan pointed at the water, and occasional ice bottles in the tank.

What kind of tea do you use for a tea bath?

Attachments

• IMG_0335-2.jpg
    IMG_0335-2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 775
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1