Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl swollen under chin. Please help.

Hrmtma

Reaction score
:confused:
Hi all ...
I have a 12 year old axolotl.. I know something is going to happen sooner or later and I am prepared that this may be his end.. but I just worry about him suffering!

For about a week his chin has been swelled up (like a frog).. normally he looks like this just after snapping food and subsides after he is finished eating - But this time it has all stayed swollen so I know something is wrong. He's not keen on me touching but I'm sure nothing is lodged... He is still behaving normal, and eating.. The bulge came up more or less over night.

What could the swelling be?? I'm not too keen on fridging or salt bathing him or anything I have heard about as I have never done any of this in the 12 years I have had him and I feel like it would be too stressful and he would probably die of shock..... I just want to know what it is incase its an easy fix... and mainly so I know he wont suffer...

I know some people with similar problems have taken their axis to vets for antibiotics.. but I don't know any close to me that will help axis (west Sydney)... Also, not to sound heartless because I'm not at all, but I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on it if he is dying of something old age related and nothing I do will help :/ ....

Is there anything I can put in the water antibiotic wise?
He also had a recent change in food (a different type of axolotl pellet which is larger and different to what he was use to) could this be a cause??

Any suggestions appreciated..Thanks heaps.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Can you post a picture?

Sometimes swelling could be a sign of water retention which could be caused by an internal factor & a vets opinion is probably needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!