Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cloudy tank and white goop

frootbats

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I joined this website because I've been having a ton of trouble with my tank recently. My axie, Chimi, is about 9 months old. We just moved houses and hes never had tank problems until when we moved (about a month ago)
Hes got a 20 gallon tank with sand substrate, artificial plants and caves. The filter is in good condition. I live in arizona so getting his tank cool is a struggle, but I have an aquarium fan that keeps it pretty chilly. About two weeks ago, i started noticing some weird, white stringy stuff on his plants. Within a day, it had spread to the other decorations. I tested the tank and found that it had somewhat higher ammonia levels than whats recommended (but nothing too high). I took the decor out of the tank, but the white stuff detached really easily and got into the water, so i had to completely replace the water. I rinsed off everything really good, including the filter. The water was very cloudy back then. For a week after i changed the water, i kept close tabs on the quality, and the ammonia levels stayed down, and the tank was crystal clear. Now, its cloudy again, and last night i noticed the white stuff was back! Any ideas on what this white stuff is (it wont show up in the pictures i take, but looks kind of like white stringy mucus). How do i get his tank clear again? I changed half the water yesterday and it didnt improve the cloudiness of the tank at all. Should i completely change the water again, or buy some sort of treatment?

tipnatee

Reaction score
If it is what I think it is then you need water clearifier. It should clean it up for you. Also get some air pump and some bio sponge filter as a secondary filter too keep your tank water clean .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!