Seachem Prime Cycling and water changes

Chomprawrmoo

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm getting set up to start cycling a small tank.
I tested my water (which we use a lot of chloramine in the water apparently) before and after being treated with Prime.
I know prime can throw false positives of high ammonia due to the inability for the API water test kit to detect the ammonium separately.
During the cycling of a tank, I assume its not an issue because I'll be using some existing media and I assume the ammonium will be broken down.

However, for the partial water changes after the axolotls are in the tanks - will the high ammonium hurt them at all? I currently have two 2.5in babies in a decent tub with daily water changes, so I have time to work on this.
Their first tank will be a 10 gallon, and the next tank is a 29 gallon.

Wow no one answered you. I have a similar problem now, except my axie is already in her tank cause I don't have a seperate tub of clean water to put her in. What did you end up doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back