Illness/Sickness: Nymph tiger salamanders with missing front legs

robbudo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got some tiger salamanders out of an abandoned pool today. They ranged from tiny nymphs to giant adults. There were also a ton of tadpoles in there, which I assume they were mostly feeding on. I got a handful to take home, but I've noticed one (3.5 inches long) is completely missing the front two legs, like completely. Not sure if they were bit off or what. Then I checked the legs of the other ones and found one more (2 inches long), with just the foot and five toes missing on one of the front legs.

I've tried to get pics, but they are just too small to show up in the picture.

I'd bet the one with just the foot regrows, but the one with the both front legs missing?

Last edited:
The legs most likely will have been nipped/ eaten by the others. They should all regrow well. Feed well on small pieces of earthworm daily and you should soon see the legs regrowing. It sounds like they are still in water, that being the case, let them have access to land. A slopping stone or substrate will be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back