Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Specifications for keeping a Siren(Sirenidae)?

Rokuta

Reaction score
I'm looking for information about Sirenidae. Possibly considering one as a pet as I see them at my LFS on occaison.

Firstly; Are they well suited to captivity? I read that they can leave the water and make noises on occasion which leads me to believe they would like more of a turtle habitat or just are not suited to captivity at all.

Secondly; Are there any resources pertaining to them anywhere?

Thirdly; Are they extremely different to care for than axolotls??

I don't intend to aquire one until I know what they need, including common diseases and cures for these animals.

Tarabull

Reaction score
Hi!

I have 3 siren intermedia. They all vary in age and size. I keep mine separate because of this.

First: They can leave the water if allowed but you would find a dried up dead siren or one that encases itself in mucus so it doesn't dry up and die. Mine have done great in captivity. Be sure to have the right sized tank, hides for them, sand to dig in, and a secure lid.

Second: There are many things on them you can find while Googling. Some are conflicting, so some things you learn through experience and other's experience. There is a Facebook group for sirens called Dwarf, lesser and greater siren enthusiasts.

Third: The care is almost the exact same to axolotls. I kept and bred them before I started keeping sirens. You don't need to monitor the water temps as much since sirens don't need really cold water. The tank size requirements are different depending on which species you choose. Also, the bigger the siren gets you can give different foods.

They are hardy animals. The only problems I've seen people have with them is fungus, I assume from an injury and or poor water conditions. I've been keeping them for a little over 5 years and have never had any problems with mine other than me being stupid and having a pleco that tried to eat my large boy. All his sores healed in no time flat with no issue or meds.

Tara

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1