Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plethodon hubrichti bred

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
After a few years of trying. I finally got my Plethodon hubrichti (Peaks of Otter Salamander) to breed this year! Seems moving them to the basement where they were exposed to temps that ranged from a low of 2C to a high of 26C was the key. As far as I can tell, this is the first time this species has been bred in captivity.

Attachments

• IMGP4824.JPG
    IMGP4824.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 614
  • IMGP4825.JPG
    IMGP4825.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 418
  • IMGP4832.JPG
    IMGP4832.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 539
  • IMGP4836.JPG
    IMGP4836.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 497
  • IMGP4829.JPG
    IMGP4829.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 477

vide

Reaction score
Thats awesome! Was there only the one hatchling? Did you see the egg-cluch? How many adults do you have in the group?

Thanks for posting!

-Vide

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
From an adult group of 2:3, I got about 20-ish hatchlings. I never saw any egg sacs. I honestly didn't expect them to lay this year either so I never bothered looking, I just happened to notice a hatchling walking around the tank about a month ago.

I had to wait to post this cause I needed to give away the offspring first.

freves

Reaction score
Congratulations Justin. You truly seem to be a trail blazer when it comes to breeding native species!
Chip

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Great work!

It really seems like a big temp fluctuation and a good environment are key to plethodontids. Thanks for posting your success!

-Tim

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You truly seem to be a trail blazer when it comes to breeding native species!
Chip

The sucky part though is that as soon as they breed it puts me over the legal limit and I immediately have to give them away. I had to visit someone out of state just to see what my CB opacum and maculatum looked like after they morphed. :(

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I think we should rename Justin as the GreatwteBreeder! Good going Justin, another species you've accomplished.

josh1990

Reaction score
Its great to see someone working with native species, esp. Plethodon. Va`s 5 limit rule makes it hard for someone breeding native salamanders to keep much of their clutch, but its great to see that you are still breeding this interesting group.:cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1