Suggestions for hides

Kaytiandpixie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Axie
Im sure someone has already posted about this and i just couldn't find it. but im looking for suggestions about good hides for my two axies.
im about to move them into a divided 2 footer and while i have a pineapple under the sea, my larger axie, Pixie has out grown it so it may get used for my juvie. but ive been having problems finding hides that i think will be safe for their tank and wont leach nastiness into the water. i have sand substrate thats not very deep but deep enough to properly secure my artificial plants. and i want to make sure the tank is comfortable and safe before i put them in it and the hides i have now just art going to cut it.

Any Suggestions?

The plants count as a hide, I bunch them together :) you can also use rocks for them to hide behind (just make sure you move them to get the food out), pvc tubes, terracotta pots, I've used mugs before as well when they are little :)

Oh, and aswell as the caves I bought that are designed for aquariums, I too have several plants bunched together for axies to sit on / hide behind, plus I've got tubes from hamster cages as extras in my tanks at the moment, but guttering pipe works too :D

so small animal hides (some) will work as well. we use those little plastic igloos for our hermit crabs and guinea pigs but ive always been concerned they'd leach stuff into the water. but its starting to seem like i have alot more options then i had originally expected. thanks a bunch guys!

In my two new aquariums, I'm using planters, a tealight candle holder (I had to seal this one, but otherwise it's a perfect hide), and a plate that is propped by salt and pepper shakers. My big aquarium is kitchen themed because it's going in my new kitchen, one of the planters is shaped like a huge teacup. :D

that sounds so cute! have you posted pics, id love to see it

I wish I were far enough along for pictures! That would be fantastic! I'm momentarily not working on it, because I have the flu :(. I have all the materials, but I'm still putting it all together. I'll have it all built once I can move in about a week from now. I plan on making a post about the build once I'm further along. :D

the only thing you should be working on is feeling better! that stinks that your sick! and im sure the tank will look AMAZING! i look forward to seeing it when its done. i hope you feel better soon!

Thanks! I'm on the mend. I should be up and constructing aquarium ornaments soon. I hit a road block, but I think we have it figured out now.

Dont work too hard and make yourself feel worse. even though tank designing is oodles of fun, i honestly think its my favorite part. Minus the cuties i mean

Trust me, I'm taking it easy. I'm not going to start working again until I'm completely better. The heat makes me feel so much worse. I tried to visit all the farm animals yesterday, and it was a huge mistake. The apartment move in was pushed back, so I can afford to lay off a few days.

that really stinks that it keeps getting pushed back, i know your excited to move and get your new little friends

I know! It all worked out for the best though. If it hadn't been pushed back and I had still gotten sick, I'd be pushing the deadline because all those sealants and glues I'm using to construct this stuff take time to cure.

I have some log aquarium ornaments that I have in there for hides. I also bunch plants together. Then I have some rocks that I balance on top of each other to make tunnels. They love climbing on them more than hiding in them though!

im so excited to decorate it all up! Thank you all so much for your suggestions and advice!

You're welcome! Lowes has some pretty cheap planters. Also, at Michaels and Hobby Lobby there are some really cute planters. That's where I got the teacup planter. Hope I helped!

i dont think ive ever not been helped on here. everyone is always so willing to answer others questions and be helpful. and i generally haven't found anyone to be unpleasant. pretty great place we got here

Another good hide for younger axies is hamster houses - the 1s from Wilkinsons have 4 entry / exit holes + I've used them for fish in the past ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back