Differing behavior in Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens between higher and lower elevations

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Country
United States
First, forgive me for my lack of experience. So to start, I'm in need of some help with
Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens behavior. I regularly go herping all throughout the year, in Spring and Summer and Fall and Winter and have been doing so since I was about 11 years old. It was at that age that this specific newt peeked my interest in salamanders as a whole. But now that I'm much much older, (23 to be exact), I've been doing a personal study on salamanders in NJ and this newt seems to be pretty odd as far as its behavior goes, or maybe I'm doing something completely wrong here. The newts are often seen during and after showers in Spring and summer around here, but since I go camping in PA and upstate New York quite a lot, I've noticed that there is something different about the newts in PA, New York and parts of NJ.
I'm hoping someone from the forum could possibly help me with this. Newts are more plentiful in higher elevations, especially as compared to NJ. There are only 2 places that I have ever found in Newts in NJ and I always find newts whenever I go camping in PA and New York. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? The newts are quite bold and come out during and after showers, but there are places in NJ that are supposedly home to these newts and I have yet to even see a single one. One place in particular, the Great Swamp National Park which is one of the few breeding places for Blue Spotted Salamanders, is also home to newts supposedly. I last summer flipping log after log in this huge swamp without ever seeing a single newt, let alone a Blue spotted (but that's a different story). Even during showers and after, there are no newts to be seen here. And yet up higher in Stokes State forest and in PA and upstate New York, they're everywhere. So either the newts are not here or their behavior is totally different and I'm doing something wrong.

Another place closer by to where I live is the Beekman road salamander crossing. Spotted Salamanders migrate to their vernal pools at this location and apparently Red Efts have been spotted here, even photographed. I've yet to ever see a newt this close by to my area.

So that said I'm hoping someone from NJ with good experience with these newts could give me some info here. I'm really curious as to where they actually live because supposedly Newts have a state wide range in NJ.

I live in east TN and have a plethora of Eastern newts in my pond..:D Fairly high elevation here; just outside of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back