Photo: Axolotl Stuffed Animals & Plush- Some of my Crafts!

Kms124

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kristina
Hello everybody,

Seeing I am overly obsessed with Axolotls (and salamanders in general), about two years ago I started to make stuffed animals- axolotls in particular after seeing no stuffed axolotls out there. I have made everything from a 4 inch axolotl magnet buddy all the way up to a 5 ft axolotl body pillow. I was not sure if there was even an area to post this, and if this type of axolotl work is acceptable in the gallery area (if not- feel free to delete/move this posting). Either way I could not think of a better place to post my axolotl crafts! Note: I'm not sure if it is my monitor or what- but many of the photos seem to be stretched. If this is the case just refer to all the photos on my Caudata Craft Gallery!

I currently sew axolotls for fun, as gifts, for crafting events & shows and also for a (pending) non-profit called Lotllove- which made it possible to bring an axolotl into my life, who I adore dearly (my axie's name is Vicious- I have an earlier posting with some photos). With any axolotl-based item purchased, a portion of that purchase is donated towards the non profit to help make other axolotl-lovers dreams come true, as well as providing educational materials to schools, museums and events (which I have also done some design/ illustration work for). So that was a big jump start to my love for sewing at the level I have been, and seeing now I have my own axolotl thanks to the organization- I would like to share that with others who feel the same way- adoring a creature that so few people seem to know about and showing my support in any way that I can. Some of these photos posted are axolotl prototypes, for-fun crafts and commissions/ sales for adoring axolotl owners and/or people who simply love axolotls and their uniqueness. I have all types of shades and colors of materials seeing often many little ones enjoy my crafts- so by having all these colors and options- it allows people to have their own unique-axolotl custom to them.

I use only the finest quality materials in my products- and the brand I am re-creating (which I have been using for about 9 years now- Tylonproducts which is in the process of being re-done) is an American based company focused on unique crafts & goods (all of the materials used from are from either local businesses and/or American companies which is exciting I get to work with many local vendors and supporters across the country and also be affiliated with them). I include the logo & name on all of my photos due to the fact I have had some issues in the past where people were circulating my items and images- not knowing who the creator was or where the items were generated from, posting them all over. The logo is there to protect my work. I now have fabric labels I am adding as well as the hang tags (which I have now) which showcases the warnings associated with stuffed animals and magnets. I have tons more axolotl photos & designs on my website and on my craft gallery right here on Caudata! I even have some tutorials on my own site for those interested in creating their own tags and patterns.

First up- the Axolotl body pillows.
The original one (green) I wanted for my college dorm. I found some left over green fabric I never used and decided I would sew up my own body pillow. My little cousin loved it so much- he requested he wanted a blue one, so I made him his very own blue axolotl which has an adorable pastel pattern under the belly. After seeing all of these giant axolotls and my website- my dentist decided he wanted one as well- so I made him up a lavender and brown one to match his office.

axolotl_body_pillows.jpg

Second- Axolotl Beanies (filled with pellets & stuffing)
My goal was to create smaller axolotls for kids and everyone who wanted something smaller than a giant body pillow or my usual 22-24 inch axolotls I used to make. So I created various prototypes and concepts for a smaller, soft and squishy, axolotl that could pose and everything- great for snuggling or display. These sizes range from 8 inch- 19 inch.

axolotlbeanie.jpg

miniaxolotlplush_craftster.jpg

sittingaxolotl_craftster.jpg

axolotl_transparent_craftster.png

19_inch_axolotl.jpg

axieplushies_redo.jpg

giantvivious_plush.jpg

Third- My try at an Axolotl Pillow Pet Style
I personally love the concept of a pillow pet. I loved it so much I wanted to give it my own spin- and make an axolotl with some left over fabric I found. Instead of velcro I added a fabric tie at the bottom. This was more of a fun-project; seeing the legality concerns I would never intend on selling something so similar. This one by far seems to be the most "popular" style I posted online for some reason or another.

axolotlpillowpet.jpg

Lastly- Magnet Buddies
After talking with fellow Lotllove supporters and the founder herself, the concept of a magnet buddy was just too great to pass up. These are 4 inch little plush animals hand-sewn with magnets in their hands so they can grab and stick to things! I made a couple axolotls (Vicious, my axolotl and the Lotllove mascot axolotl) as well as a few salamanders seeing I adore salamanders as well. So below is Vicious and Muffin (my axolotl and tiger salamander), Lotllove mascot, a spotted salamander and marbled salamander which were gifts to friends.

muffinandvicious_craftster.jpg

lotllove_craftster.jpg

spottedsalamander_craftster.jpg

marblesalamander_craftster.jpg

Anyways- I hope you all enjoy my crafts! I enjoy making them, and I enjoy even more the happiness they bring to those who one is given to - especially to those who cannot have an axolotl. I am always trying out new patterns, new colors and materials and to top it off- I have met some incredible people since. I am working on some keychain designs as well, and have a lot more axolotl-based ideas I would like to work with eventually.

Feel free to post your own axolotl-ideas, colors, poses, etc! I am always looking for different colors and concepts to try out. I have some brand new colors and materials arriving soon- and am very excited to try out the new concepts I have planned. For the larger axolotls I make- I plan on eventually adding wire (which I currently have) into the gills to make them bendable and pose-able.

Thank you everyone for viewing!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back