Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bsal

Tony89

Reaction score
So I made the poor decision of getting 3 fire belly newts from a relatively new shop.. Noticed a fungus infection developing on 2 of them 48 hours later. I immediately moved them and their whole tank into the basement far away from the other tanks, but I'm still worried.. Could it be bsal since it's very common on asian imported species? Could it be spread to the rest of my collection? How can I kill it? I've heard it can't survive temps over 25c.. thank you all in advance!

Tony89

Reaction score
I don't have them at the moment as a friend of mine volunteered to take them and treat them.. But I noticed on one of them there was a white fuzzy substance on its front leg and it kept it elevated all the time, and the other had 2 tiny white spots on its side.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
I can’t be positive, but I think that may have just been a typical fungal infection? Bsal integrates into the skin so you don’t really see white fuzzy stuff. It causes red patches and lumps. So hopefully it’s just a run of the mill fungal infection that can be treated with some salt baths!

Tony89

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your informative reply! I was worried sick that it could be bsal and could spread on my collection with vulnerable species! It was definitely not red marks or anything like that, but I was still worried because I didn't know how the symptoms look like.. Thanks again my friend is treating them with some medication for tropical fish fungus.

Blackbun

Reaction score
So I made the poor decision of getting 3 fire belly newts from a relatively new shop.. Noticed a fungus infection developing on 2 of them 48 hours later. I immediately moved them and their whole tank into the basement far away from the other tanks, but I'm still worried.. Could it be bsal since it's very common on asian imported species? Could it be spread to the rest of my collection? How can I kill it? I've heard it can't survive temps over 25c.. thank you all in advance!

Actually bd is killed over 25C but it doesn’t sound like that fungus to me.

ntny

Reaction score
hi folks,
just sharing...
normally for any external injuries, fungus, bacteria etc.
i use API Furan-2 board spectrum antibiotics commonly sold in fish shops for fishes.
they are quite effective against many infections etc,,
i used 1/3 teaspoon for 500ml of dechlorinated cool water. its a very heavy dosage soaked for 30 mins everyday for serious infections, or twice a week for minor infections until recovered. normally it will take 2 weeks or longer to fully recover.
For Bloat type symptoms i used API-Furan 2 + Rock salt from fish shops again
1/3 teaspoon Furan-2 and 1 teaspoon Rock salt for 500ml of water soaked for 30 mins everyday
But again keeping them cooler at below 21C is still the best way to avoid such sickness
i notice keeping them cooler at below 21C they seldom have much issues
API-Furan-2.jpg

thanks

ntny

Reaction score
there is another medication call Triple-Sulfa
its a japanese board spectrum antibiotics for fishes.
this is a much more potent medication and should be use with lesser dosage perhaps 1/4 teaspoon for 500ml of water?
but it is also very effective according to some of my fellow friends
elbajo.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!