The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 14th May 2018   #1
Tony89

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tony89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bsal

So I made the poor decision of getting 3 fire belly newts from a relatively new shop.. Noticed a fungus infection developing on 2 of them 48 hours later. I immediately moved them and their whole tank into the basement far away from the other tanks, but I'm still worried.. Could it be bsal since it's very common on asian imported species? Could it be spread to the rest of my collection? How can I kill it? I've heard it can't survive temps over 25c.. thank you all in advance!

Tony89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018   #2
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and informationRoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and information
Default Re: Bsal

What did it look like? From what I can tell Bsal sort of looks like rings on the skin. Can you post pictures?

RoreyRoreyRorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018   #3
Tony89

Nationality:

I don't have them at the moment as a friend of mine volunteered to take them and treat them.. But I noticed on one of them there was a white fuzzy substance on its front leg and it kept it elevated all the time, and the other had 2 tiny white spots on its side.

Old 15th May 2018   #4
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and informationRoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and information

I canít be positive, but I think that may have just been a typical fungal infection? Bsal integrates into the skin so you donít really see white fuzzy stuff. It causes red patches and lumps. So hopefully itís just a run of the mill fungal infection that can be treated with some salt baths!

RoreyRoreyRorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018   #5
Tony89

Nationality:

Thank you very much for your informative reply! I was worried sick that it could be bsal and could spread on my collection with vulnerable species! It was definitely not red marks or anything like that, but I was still worried because I didn't know how the symptoms look like.. Thanks again my friend is treating them with some medication for tropical fish fungus.

Old 16th May 2018   #6
Blackbun

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony89 View Post
So I made the poor decision of getting 3 fire belly newts from a relatively new shop.. Noticed a fungus infection developing on 2 of them 48 hours later. I immediately moved them and their whole tank into the basement far away from the other tanks, but I'm still worried.. Could it be bsal since it's very common on asian imported species? Could it be spread to the rest of my collection? How can I kill it? I've heard it can't survive temps over 25c.. thank you all in advance!
Actually bd is killed over 25C but it doesnít sound like that fungus to me.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018   #7
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:
Rep: ntny has shown reliable knowledgentny has shown reliable knowledge

hi folks,
just sharing...
normally for any external injuries, fungus, bacteria etc.
i use API Furan-2 board spectrum antibiotics commonly sold in fish shops for fishes.
they are quite effective against many infections etc,,
i used 1/3 teaspoon for 500ml of dechlorinated cool water. its a very heavy dosage soaked for 30 mins everyday for serious infections, or twice a week for minor infections until recovered. normally it will take 2 weeks or longer to fully recover.
For Bloat type symptoms i used API-Furan 2 + Rock salt from fish shops again
1/3 teaspoon Furan-2 and 1 teaspoon Rock salt for 500ml of water soaked for 30 mins everyday
But again keeping them cooler at below 21C is still the best way to avoid such sickness
i notice keeping them cooler at below 21C they seldom have much issues
Click the image to open in full size.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony89 View Post

ntny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018   #8
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:
Rep: ntny has shown reliable knowledgentny has shown reliable knowledge

there is another medication call Triple-Sulfa
its a japanese board spectrum antibiotics for fishes.
this is a much more potent medication and should be use with lesser dosage perhaps 1/4 teaspoon for 500ml of water?
but it is also very effective according to some of my fellow friends
Click the image to open in full size.

ntny is offline   Reply With Quote