Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Owner near Toronto

Alicialotl

Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m Alicia and I’m getting ready to own my first axolotl. I am currently cycling a 20 gallon tank (I started yesterday). I have a liquid test kit for this. I have planted some anubias and java fern and I’m adding fish food to the tank for the source of ammonia.

I got my tank from someone of kijiji, and it came with an aqueon quietflow internal power filter 15. Will this be enough to filter a 20 gallon tank? Also, I can point the flow in any direction. Is there a good place to have it for good circulation, that won’t stress my axolotl out?

There is a small axolotl at my pet store right now. Barely more than 2 inches long. She is moving around happily enough but she has the smallest feathery growths on her gills that I have ever seen. Essentially none at all. I have to finish cycling the tank before I can take her home and I will be in New York for a few days into the beginning of August (I doubt the cycling will be done by that point anyway?) so I am not sure if I’ll be able to buy her before someone else does. The pet store won’t keep her there for me, even if I pay. Crossing my fingers that she’s still there so I can give her a healthy home where she can grow beautiful gills!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1