The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Old 27th August 2015   #81
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Tylototriton verrucosus

A little while ago, the golden T. verr passed away. It had spells of not eating and generally seeming not quite right for a while. I shall miss it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150815_191522.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	43863  

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015   #82
Chinadog

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Oh no, sorry to hear that Julia. :( I'll miss him too with his tiny feet and big appetite. Even though there was something very wrong with his genes he was very photogenic, who knows, maybe your adults will throw another one that's similar but with better health next time they lay eggs.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017   #83
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Every now and then, I have a larva manage to survive and grow in the tank with the adults. So far it's only one at a time..no idea how they do it as the adults are monsters. The larva are fearless and at feeding time they are right in the thick of it. How they escape the psycho parents is a miracle...they are normally chasing each other away and biting each other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170113_203822.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	49278   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170113_203711.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	49279   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170113_202622.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	49280  

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017   #84
Eva
(evut)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The picture of the little guy made me go "Aw!" but then I read what you wrote about the adults and the memories of the huge monsters staring at me from the tank and trying to eat each other came flooding back...

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017   #85
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Mine are pretty good with the larvae, they will gladly eat eggs though. As you say, the adults are brutal with each other, especially at feeding time and still try the old swallowing each others tail trick from time to time.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018   #86
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:
Rep: ntny has shown reliable knowledgentny has shown reliable knowledge

hi Juila
may i ask are these consider the "light variant" or "dark variant" T.verrucosus?
i have 2 juveniles looks the same as yours in the pictures
they have orange limbs and tails, the head has 2 orange glands too.
but mine doesnt have the orange spots on the body flanks though...
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabelloo View Post
Two more pictures for you
Eva.....I am going to try really really hard not to get anything else, but you know me well enough to know I will fail.
They are currently in an aquarium with soil moss and a large sunk water bowl. They merrily hop into the water and then cleverly hide ....they blend in beautifully with the soil

ntny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018   #87
mr cyclone
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hi these are the dark type. The light type are believed to be also confused with shanjing but are highly aquatic in breeding season (I have both types). The type on caudata culture (light variant) has been sold on the continent as a form of shanjing but isnít as hydrophobic as true shanjing (if there is such a thing) .
What I do know is there are at least 4animals probably more that look like shanjing or variant 3 Tylototriton verrucosus. With whatever is what to still be correctly clarified.
The light variant have a triangular verruca in a triangle shape at the beginning of the verruca chain on their side ,if I can accomplish loading some pictures on here I will.
The Austrian I got mine from has kept both types of shanjing that breed on land and water.
The light variant /verrucosus/Shanjing breed in the water, my group are now in the water but no eggs yet but plenty tail fanning

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018   #88
mr cyclone
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

These are the fellas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	91B829FD-E10A-46F9-9D42-F002B28A571F.png
Views:	29
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	52824   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB521A64-87F5-47AF-88B7-84FB7974B22E.png
Views:	29
Size:	757.7 KB
ID:	52825  

Old 28th March 2018   #89
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:

Hi Andy, Mr cyclone,
thanks for advice,
yes this family has many sub-species, quite confusing. i suspect the dark variant maybe Tylototriton shanorum from Paul's website
http://www.salamanderseiten.de/tylot...errucosus.html
i think mine are the "dark variant" which i suppose are easier to keep.
the smaller fellow is fully aquatic today. the slightly larger one still on land floating dock.
may i know if a simple zoomed floating dock is adequate for them or do i need to make a 50/50 ratio semi-aquatic terrarium.
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr cyclone View Post
These are the fellas

Old 30th March 2018   #90
mr cyclone
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Yes a floating dock is adequate ,they are highly aquatic

Old 7th April 2018   #91
mr cyclone
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Sorry if Iíve hijacked this thread , here is a before and after breeding photo!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6596A435-1A81-4DD2-8BF0-3E8273EFFDDE.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	52890   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAE33666-71CE-4AC5-9A86-1226F7F37E97.png
Views:	27
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	52891  

Old 7th April 2018   #92
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:

Big difference in coloration. Whats the reason?
Thanks
Quote:
Sorry if I’ve hijacked this thread , here is a before and after breeding photo!!

Last edited by bellabelloo; 7th April 2018 at 09:06. Reason: Capital letters added.
Old 22nd May 2018   #93
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:

hi Mr Cyclone and Folks,
i currently have 3 Tylototriton verrucosus, 2 are dark forms and 1 is light form which is also the largest. i keep them at 18-23C in a low 10gal tank in a fridge. water level is only 5 inches. when they just arrive all of them are scared of going into water. now the 2 dark forms spend most time in water although sometimes i still see them on the turtle dock.
the light form spends most time on the turtle dock?
they came from the same batch. i also notice they are not great swimmers like Cynops species. they are rather clumsy under water. is this normal? they are about 3 inches now.
thanks. they ate chopped earthworms, newly molted mealworms and tubifex worms etc...

Quote:
Hi these are the dark type. The light type are believed to be also confused with shanjing but are highly aquatic in breeding season (I have both types). The type on caudata culture (light variant) has been sold on the continent as a form of shanjing but isnít as hydrophobic as true shanjing (if there is such a thing) .
What I do know is there are at least 4animals probably more that look like shanjing or variant 3 Tylototriton verrucosus. With whatever is what to still be correctly clarified.
The light variant have a triangular verruca in a triangle shape at the beginning of the verruca chain on their side ,if I can accomplish loading some pictures on here I will.
The Austrian I got mine from has kept both types of shanjing that breed on land and water.
The light variant /verrucosus/Shanjing breed in the water, my group are now in the water but no eggs yet but plenty tail fanning

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #94
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:

hello folks,
i notice 2 of my T.verrucosus spend a lot of time on the floating island however 1 of them prefers to be in water more.
only when i introduce worms into water they venture into the water for food.
my setup is a 10 gallon tank with a floating island, some plastic plants and a air bubble box filter.
is there anything wrong?
i thought T.verrucosus are highly aquatic? i have them with me for 6 months now a little concern with this behaviour...
thanks and cheers!