Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wish List

freves

Reaction score
Being inspired by caudatadude28's thread asking about what else we keep, I thought that it would be fun to see what other people would keep given the proper resources (time, space, and money). For myself time and available space are pretty much at a maximum at the moment and money is not far behind - but say I won the lottery then I would keep : Cynops (e. popei, pyrroghaster, and orientalis), several subspecies of S. salamandra, Neurergus kaiseri and strauchii, as well as several more Paramesotriton sp. Other herps that I would like to keep include some of the smaller Ctenosaurs, fancy garter snakes, Geomyda splengeri and a few other smaller chelonians, a few species of chameleons, and (if I lived in Florida and it was legal - dwarf camians). There are many fish on my wish list but bichirs are near the top. I think that is all....
Chip

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Given time, space, money, and legal permission, I would keep falcons and white deer.

-Eva

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my case, it's space and time to give them the care (read anthropomorphically, Chip! I mean LOVE) they'd need. That's what keeps me from getting a blue-tongued skink, and many many more species of newts. Also I'd like a little yappy dog, some kind of terrier. OK, an Australian terrier. I'd teach it tons of tricks! Also someday I'd like to get a purebreed cat, an Abyssinnian, which I do plan to get when I'm down another cat. I think about getting the dog when I retire, since I'd be home to walk her.
When I win the mega millions lottery I'm going to open an iguana rescue center. I see it as a huge green house full of vegetation, a little stream, waterfalls, and branches and heat lamps for the iguanas .

Oh, and when I win the lottery I'll also have a real pond in my backyard (in the backyard of my mansion) with goldfish. Oh, heck, as long as I'm at it, I'd have the pond in my living room.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First step would be to move out of the 'burbs', head for the mountains and build a house worthy of my new wriggly, slimey, scaley, furry friends!

I would keep a few of our beautiful Australian carpet snakes, a couple of bearded dragons and definately a pond with some Eastern Long Necked Turtles. I'd have hours of fun designing the enclosures.

And needless to say, I would have more axolotls and boy would they be spoilt! I may even breed them with all that money, space, and extra time lol - The 'Axolotl Mobile' would be a must ;).

Rex is looking at me as if to say "What about me?". I would have at least two dogs, but not more than four lol.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Um hhhmmm, well I've owned or had the opportunity to keep most every animal a person could wish for.

So I don't really long for much.

Imaginary.... a large 40lb house cat that looks like a cheetah, or black panther or cougar. I'm close with a domestic mix breed w/ long hair that weighs 37lbs.

Normal but difficult to find.... more newts and sals! Um almost imaginary - hellbender. LOL it was in my quest to OWN a hellbender that brought me to this site and showed how near impossible that was for humans much less a private citizen. However I found axolotls and learned proper care for newts and I'm happy!

t. marms, t. shanjing come to mind for the possible to own but hard to find. Currently I'm aiming for GFP axolotls.

Um, more ordinary.... a giant 300 gl saltwater tank w/captive bred fish. A newfoundland dog - black. A persian cat. Some blue sebastapol geese. I have white ones, I'd like blue ones....

Sharon

Nathan050793

Reaction score
A newfoundland dog - black.

Haha! Finally someone else who wants a newfie! Maybe you can convince my mother...:rolleyes:

-When I lived in Maine, my first grade teacher had one. She had to keep it indoors during bear hunting season, as she was afraid that it would be shot by mistake.

Oh, and to contribute to the thread a bit more, I'd probably like to have more newt species (I don't know which, really). Personally though, I'd really just like to see an Andrias (japonicus or davidianus) in the wild. Man that would be cool.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have a newfie too! And a shorthair st. bernard. I'd keep the Amur tiger cubs with them.

And hellbenders.

Jake

Reaction score
When I win the lottery I'll start the world's first and only albino panda farm. I've noticed a lack of albino panda farms and it really makes me sad.

I would also very much like to start a breeding colony of N.kaiseri and raise 2,000 of them to triple the world's population, but more seriously to develop an albino form of them so I can start my real project called 'The Albino Iranian Newt Farm'.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Hey! I HAVE three ferrets and due to the shelter - once upon a time I had more than 20 ferrets in my house (OMG THAT WAS SOOOO BAD). But now we have three and they're a lot of fun to let loose in the outdoor pen and watch them romp!

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1