The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 15th May 2015   #1
AxolotlLove327

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AxolotlLove327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl Fungal Infection?

My Axolotl seems to have a fungal infection, but I'm not sure. I've also noticed his bills are curled forward, and the frills are gone. What's that all about? The water parameters are fine, and the temp is a few above 60F. I've attached some pictures of his head, where the infection seems to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	42640  

Old 15th May 2015   #2
AxolotlLove327

Nationality:
Default Re: Axolotl Fungal Infection?

Here's the other pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	42641  

Old 16th May 2015   #3
Laura
(LSuzuki)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

Specifically, what are the "all fine" water parameters? Since I don't know your level of expertise, I can't tell if your definition of "all fine" matches that of the experts.

Based on the experiences of many, high nitrate levels sometimes trigger fungal infections. Does it look fuzzy, like a bit of cotton ball? It is hard for me to tell from the pictures.

It almost never hurts to change the water more often, and sometimes that helps with fungal infections.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015   #4
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Doesn't look like fungus or heat stress. Did the white patch just appear ? Gill loss can be down to water quality, you said your water was fine, what did you test for and what were the results ?

Old 16th May 2015   #5
AxolotlLove327

Nationality:

I have noticed that the nitrites are high, I'll do a water change. And no, the spot doesn't seem fuzzy at all. I'm actually out of town right now, but I'll be back tomorrow and I'll test the water and relay it to you. I have drop tests for ammonia, but everything else is strips.

Old 16th May 2015   #6
AxolotlLove327

Nationality:

And to answer nai lives question, the spot has seemed to always be there, but has become more noticeable the past few days. I'll be back tomorrow and test the water

Old 16th May 2015   #7
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Some axolotls can have different coloured patches on them, its more noticable on darker ones like melanoids and wild types. Melanoids darken up as they get bigger, their skin thickens, you can see this on light morph juvies, you can see internal organs on them but not adults. The white patch on your guy may just becoming more visible as it darkens with age.

Old 16th May 2015   #8
AxolotlLove327

Nationality:

Great, thank you

Tags
axolotl fungal infection, curled gills