The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Reply

 

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2015   #1
axolitllsebastian
Junior Member
 
axolitllsebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 7
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axolitllsebastian is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

My 6-7 month old axolotl has always had white specks on the tips of his gills. They are not fuzzy like cotton. Should I be worried about this? He also has white spots on his tail that do come off when rubbed, pictured below. Other than that he seems healthy. Please let me know if this is a fungal infection and what to do about it. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6899 (1).jpg
Views:	298
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	43921  



axolitllsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015   #2
Leah
(Hoagii)
Member
 
Hoagii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 96
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hoagii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

My axolotl had a pale spot like that on her gill right before the fungus appeared. It's weird that yours had always looked like that. Are there filaments on the gill in the area of the pallor?



Hoagii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015   #3
Fimbriae
Member
 
Fimbriae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 32
Posts: 46
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Fimbriae has started on the right path
Default Re: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

My leucy GFP had similar white on one of her gill tips when she was younger. Picture is when she was about 6 months old, she is 1.5yrs old now. I never saw it develop in to a legitimate case of fungus though. I waited about a month or so and it never really got worse, but I did end up treating with salt baths for 5 days at that point. Eventually she grew out of it, but there are shorter and less gill fimbriae on the originally affected tip. I'd keep a close eye on it, the second you see fuzz -look in to fungal treatment. As for the white on the tail, I'm not too sure as it's kind of blurry.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	43933   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	43934  



__________________
Ambystoma andersoni
Ambystoma mexicanum (GFP)
Fimbriae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015   #4
axolitllsebastian
Junior Member
 
axolitllsebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 7
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axolitllsebastian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagii View Post
My axolotl had a pale spot like that on her gill right before the fungus appeared. It's weird that yours had always looked like that. Are there filaments on the gill in the area of the pallor?
There seems to be less around that area. On every gill there's these white tips.



axolitllsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015   #5
axolitllsebastian
Junior Member
 
axolitllsebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 7
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axolitllsebastian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimbriae View Post
My leucy GFP had similar white on one of her gill tips when she was younger. Picture is when she was about 6 months old, she is 1.5yrs old now. I never saw it develop in to a legitimate case of fungus though. I waited about a month or so and it never really got worse, but I did end up treating with salt baths for 5 days at that point. Eventually she grew out of it, but there are shorter and less gill fimbriae on the originally affected tip. I'd keep a close eye on it, the second you see fuzz -look in to fungal treatment. As for the white on the tail, I'm not too sure as it's kind of blurry.
Hope this helps.
She is very cute! I'm glad she didn't end up having fungus, i'm hoping that's not the case with mine either. He also has less filaments around the area. I will do salt baths if it worsens, thanks! (The tail is back to normal oddly enough.)



axolitllsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015   #6
Fimbriae
Member
 
Fimbriae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 32
Posts: 46
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Fimbriae has started on the right path
Default Re: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolecemontee View Post
She is very cute! I'm glad she didn't end up having fungus, i'm hoping that's not the case with mine either. He also has less filaments around the area. I will do salt baths if it worsens, thanks! (The tail is back to normal oddly enough.)
No problem. If you do end up having to use salt baths, I would cut the regular concentration in half or so since he's 6-7 months old.
Good luck



__________________
Ambystoma andersoni
Ambystoma mexicanum (GFP)
Fimbriae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015   #7
axolitllsebastian
Junior Member
 
axolitllsebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 7
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axolitllsebastian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimbriae View Post
No problem. If you do end up having to use salt baths, I would cut the regular concentration in half or so since he's 6-7 months old.
Good luck
Did her gills look better after you did salt baths or did it go away on its own?



axolitllsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015   #8
Fimbriae
Member
 
Fimbriae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 32
Posts: 46
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Fimbriae has started on the right path
Default Re: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

It seemed as though it was gradually worsening before the salt baths. Nearly a year later and that gill tip still isn't perfect though. She appears healthy, a little husky as of late (pear shaped). I think she might be gravid.



__________________
Ambystoma andersoni
Ambystoma mexicanum (GFP)
Fimbriae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015   #9
axolitllsebastian
Junior Member
 
axolitllsebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 7
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axolitllsebastian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimbriae View Post
It seemed as though it was gradually worsening before the salt baths. Nearly a year later and that gill tip still isn't perfect though. She appears healthy, a little husky as of late (pear shaped). I think she might be gravid.
That's good to know, thanks for the help! I think i'm going to give him a salt bath. He seems to have these white tips on almost every gill.



axolitllsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015   #10
Fimbriae
Member
 
Fimbriae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Age: 32
Posts: 46
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Fimbriae has started on the right path
Default Re: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

You're welcome, let us know how it goes!



__________________
Ambystoma andersoni
Ambystoma mexicanum (GFP)
Fimbriae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axolotl, fungus gills

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Fungal Infection? AxolotlLove327 Sick Axolotl? 7 16th May 2015 16:04
Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Fungal Infection? cwilson9991 Sick Axolotl? 5 18th September 2012 01:56
Illness/Sickness: Sick axolotl with severe fungal or bacterial infection I need help Two axolotls Sick Axolotl? 3 26th February 2012 18:32
Does all the water have to go if an axolotl has a fungal infection? HitmanSougo13 Sick Axolotl? 27 16th January 2011 04:22
Fungal Infection - PLease Help rebecca Axolotl General Discussion 8 6th November 2006 06:13


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:34.