Illness/Sickness: Illness help

Axolotldiary

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello!
We just bought an axolotl (16cm) possibly 2years old, and his anus seems quite flared. He keeps trying to vomit/retching, he may have rectal prolapse. Can someone please help and suggest what I can do. He is in a world of pain, poor guy. Water is good, 18degrees. He hasn't ate since we bought him home.

Attachments

• IMG_20160801_134855.jpg
    IMG_20160801_134855.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 204
My quick guess is that something he ate blew out of his rectum , could be shelled worms , crayfish, or anything sharp enough to ripped his rectum on the way out. Of course sharp rocks gravel from where he was from before could also did it. If I were you I would try Indian almond leaf bath for soothing the damage tissue in clean cold water then put him in the fridge. Don't force him to eat cause his bottom need to heal quick. I wanna suggest aquarium salt but I don't want to irritate him till he at least heal up enough to eat first,:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back