Very, very dirty lucies?

Nessie7

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, everyone! I've recently come across some young lucies that seem to be more spotted than normal. Most "very dirty lucies" only have small, light freckles but these babies are heavily spotted. Any idea why? Is it unusual at all?

29249173264_cfe9a63f06_z.jpg

29101956272_d8a3951c6b_z.jpg

And, lastly:
Lucy or wild? I really can't tell for sure. Looks wild but it also has a lucy look with a lot of dark coloration

29762209862_456d63c2bf_z.jpg

Those are beautiful babies, I am so intrigued by them! I don't know much about axolotl colors or genetics unfortunately, but I would just love to see updated pictures of these little guys as they get bigger. :D

If you compare the reflective circles in the eyes, you should notice that wild type eyes have a slightly golden reflective circle, whereas the leucistics have a silver circle, inside of the eye.

If it's not a wild type, then technically, I think this would be considered a "piebald", a "harlequin" or "enigma" trait leucistic, since a dirty leucistic wouldn't have any pigment below the lateral line (horizontal line running midway down the length of the body).

Silly Axolotls - Colour Variants Post - Colour Variants Post

The exact cause seems to be debatable, but it may be the result of a mutated leucistic gene and could possibly be related to mosaicism.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back