Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: RAISED red bumps on tail

snowbutton

Reaction score
Hello, i have two juvie axies together in a 20l. They are getting along fine, but i noticed my older one, Casper, had a small little fungus on his gill. Okay, I put him in a fresh tub of water, give him a couple tea baths a day.

This morning, i opened the closet door i was keeping him in, and i lifted up the glass photo frame i use to cover the tub hes in. The glass was soaking wet with water, and his tail was covered with raised red bumps. Not the kind of red marks they get from fighting.

I tested the water in the tank after i noticed his tail, and the only thing bad is the medium-high level of ammonia.

snowbutton

Reaction score
Here is his tail

Attachments

• 20160924_104146.jpg
    20160924_104146.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 308

Odd

Reaction score
What do you consider medium high ammonia? What is the temperature of his water?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

snowbutton

Reaction score
It was around .7 ppm, but i did a large water change. My other axie is perfectly fine inside the tank. Also, Casper's tail seems to be almost healed now

GeorgeAquatics

Reaction score
Hi Lexi. It's George, (We know each other from a group of Facebook). Red bumps, reddish patches, and irritated skin are signs of ammonia burns.

Also, as far as the tea baths go, I know that a lot of people recommend them, but there are a couple of things you might want to be aware of:

TEA BATHS: RISKS AND BENEFITS
“Tea bath for axolotls” By Daniel Weiner (Note: The author does not recommend doing tea baths to treat fungus.)
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2
-
“Skin flaking off after a short tea bath?”:
Skin flaking off after a short tea bath? - Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Forum
-
“ Pesticide traces in some tea exceed allowable limits” (CBC News)
Pesticide traces in some tea exceed allowable limits - Canada - CBC News

Lexolotl

Reaction score
Hi Lexi. It's George, (We know each other from a group of Facebook). Red bumps, reddish patches, and irritated skin are signs of ammonia burns.

Also, as far as the tea baths go, I know that a lot of people recommend them, but there are a couple of things you might want to be aware of:

TEA BATHS: RISKS AND BENEFITS
“Tea bath for axolotls” By Daniel Weiner (Note: The author does not recommend doing tea baths to treat fungus.)
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2
-
“Skin flaking off after a short tea bath?”:
Skin flaking off after a short tea bath? - Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Forum
-
“ Pesticide traces in some tea exceed allowable limits” (CBC News)
Pesticide traces in some tea exceed allowable limits - Canada - CBC News

lol, George. Wrong Lexi. :)

E

Elise

Looks like an abrasion on his tail which are common. Seeing as you posted this four weeks ago it should be healed by now.

I've had axolotls develop fungal infections at .5ppm ammonia so I would say you were correct in that regards.

snowbutton

Reaction score
Looks like an abrasion on his tail which are common. Seeing as you posted this four weeks ago it should be healed by now.

I've had axolotls develop fungal infections at .5ppm ammonia so I would say you were correct in that regards.

You are correct. I just did some simple daily water changes and all was fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1