Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice

Crowley

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here and also new to owning an axolotl. I've done lots of reading on here but I'm not sure if I have a problem or if I'm just worrying to much.

I just picked up my first axolotl from a pet store that had him (not really sure if boy or girl) and one other axolotl in a tank with lots of plants and gravel on the bottom. They fed them frozen blood works twice a day. I chose Crowley because I thought it was cute and sad that he was missing a leg and I was excited to see it grow back.

When I was putting together a tank for him I got some big river rocks and slate from a local pet store to provide some shelter if he wanted. I also have a sponge filter (I think that's what it's called). As for food I wanted to be able to feed him live guppies so I could just have them swim around and get could eat them whenever he felt like it.

On the first day it was him and 6 guppies in the tank. After 48 hours he finally ate two guppies. The guppies we're kind of making a mess so I read about ghost shrimp and bought 12 of them because the guy at the pet store said it should be fine. When I put them in the tank Crowley seemed scared of them and kept swimming away from them.

Today (day 3) I took some ghost shrimp out and fed him frozen blood works which he gobbled right away!

Am I being paranoid that he won't eat guppies and is scared of the ghost shrimp? Or is all of this just way to new to him and he doesn't know what to do yet?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. He might not eat the ghost shrimp right away, and maybe never the guppies. THe best food for him is nightcrawlers. I really recommend you get those.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1