Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Killing Blue-Green algae

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMAGE=JPG.jpg
    IMAGE=JPG.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 390

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
I am not positive, but I don’t think the algae is harmful as long as you have a bubbler or something in the tank? Algae can be harmful because it sucks oxygen out of water, but it doesn’t do too much in a tank with a bubbler. I had a bunch of it in my tank with my Barred Larvae Toothless, he loved hiding in the stuff. Do you know if it is Blue green algae or blue green slime? Blue green slime is not actually algae, but Cyanobacteria, and I don’t know how that would affect amphibians. The Cyanobacteria can be pretty easily killed by reducing light and scraping it out. Also I have heard using 200 mg erythromycin phosphate per 10 gallons water will kill it, but I don’t know if that is safe for amphibians.

JM29

Reaction score
Hello !

Cyanobacteria use to grow well in waters where Phosphorous is in excess. This happens when :
- your tank and substrate have just been whashed up, filled again with clean water without nitrates but there is some Phosphorous in the substrate,
- your tank has been doing well for months and Phosphorous has accumulated.

Some food (pellets for example) seem to accelerate the process.
Changing the water is an efficient way of diminishing the nitrates, but is inefficient concerning Phosphorous besause the major part of it is in the substrate.
Scaping the cyanobacteria off is only a short-term solution.

I hope this will help a little.

aquariara

Reaction score
Hi Otterwoman,

Did you ever end up trying the Ultralife product?
I've tried everything to get rid of the cyanobacteria in my newt tank, short of bleaching the whole system which is 100 gallons with a sump and bio-tower.
I would love to try this product but don't want to adversely affect the newties. I've emailed and called the company and can't get a direct answer on amphibian safeness specifically.

Thank you for your input,
Ara

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I ended up cleaning out the tank and getting rid of the plants and starting over. ANd now it's back. Not in all my tanks, just a couple.

Hockeyrooster

Reaction score
I understand this is a 5 year old thread but I thought I’d ask if anyone’s used an erythromycin product in their newt tank.

JM29

Reaction score
As an antibiotic, erythromycin will be mainly bacteriostatic ; it will slow down or stop bacteria and cyanobacteria growth.
But it's a short-term effect.
Moreover, its effects are not specific and useful bacteria (in the tank, in the newts) could also be affected.

Cyanobacteria are often a problem in young tanks or old tanks.
In the fist case, the tank has not yet reached its equilibrium ; the problem will normally pass on.
In the second case, it's time to clean out the tank and start on a new ground.

minorhero

Reaction score
I have used erythromycin to very successfully treat cyno in fish tanks but never with newts in the tank. It's easy to remove the newts and treat the tank, then after days/weeks return the newts. This would be my preference.

Hockeyrooster

Reaction score
I have used erythromycin to very successfully treat cyno in fish tanks but never with newts in the tank. It's easy to remove the newts and treat the tank, then after days/weeks return the newts. This would be my preference.
How long did you take the newts out for?

Hockeyrooster

Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies! I’m going to keep with water changes and see if I can get rid of it that way.
I’m currently changing tanks for my 3 year old firebellies. The old tank has cyno due very poor water conditions (they stay on the land right now) and the new one (mostly water) has just finished cycling. Once the new water is good, I am going to transfer them. Hopefully a couple more weeks and it will be good.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!