Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Hunting for Salamanders in NY!!!

BellaCornuta

Reaction score
I love in the Hudson Valley of New York.

I have decided that I am going to go on an adventure in search of either Marbled Salamanders or Blue Spotted Salamanders.

I did some research and they seem to have been spotted around this area.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for finding these elusive little beasts.

Also, If I did find one or more would anyone out there be interested in trading for an Axolotl?

Here is what the local Marsh/woodland looks like.

nw779.jpg

abh28h.jpg

2e3mrus.jpg

jbherpin

Reaction score
I'd not over exploit that area, and in many cases wild collection for purpose of propagation is illegal. I'd watch out, and more importantly, respect the fragile state of many populations of these species.

-jbherpin-

BellaCornuta

Reaction score
I'd not over exploit that area, and in many cases wild collection for purpose of propagation is illegal. I'd watch out, and more importantly, respect the fragile state of many populations of these species.

-jbherpin-

Very good point. Perhaps it is best that I leave them be.

Ed

Reaction score
If I remember correctly New York recently changed thier rules regarding collection of native species for any purposes without a permit and in any case commercial transactions (a trade would qualify) would be illegal under thier rules. This entire bust started with a red salamander advertised for sale on the web http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/52868.html

Ed

jbherpin

Reaction score
Thank you both for backing me up on this, and the link to the bust was a great punctuation to the point!
I hope Bellacornuta does the right thing. To further add to the list of resons not to...
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59330

This will show you (Bellacornuta) the site's posture toward this...

-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!