Need convincing info

TigerLotl83

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I'm fairly new to the page. So hello everyone. This has to do with the newt and salamander ban. I've recently got the opportunity to speak out on this. With my state senator. They are extremely interested in what i have to say. This is mainly for the interstate ban. As I'm all for the ban on wild caught imports. What i would like from whoever would comment. Is key points on getting the interstate ban lifted. I've been reading what i can. I have my own opinions. But this isn't just about me. Its about everyone in this hobby. So please feel free to leave a comment or pm. I appreciate any convincing info.

The ban is not interstate specific because of this particular list of species but because of how the law (Lacey Act) is written. However, when the bill was originally passed testimony to the congress was that this law does not apply to exotic animals already within the US and that was the understanding at the time it was passed. Because of this a legal challenge was issued to stop the interstate enforcement as pertains to exotic pets. There will be more information about this in a few months once the case is heard.

What you may want to research is something called CaTX which was used to bypass the usual assessments needed to justify listing a species. Likely they could not defend many of the listings, but some they easily could. The courts will decide the interstate transport but I would read up on CaTX as much as possible. On one hand they say it's not in the US so we must act now, on the other hand they say we must ban native because it could be here... so which is it? Furthermore, this disease is a legitimate concern that warrants some action be taken, but there is fear that it will be used to create wholesale bans on an entire industry deeply unpopular with certain political groups and those just happen to have the hear of USFW at the moment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back