Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some Ambystoma metamorph photos

mike

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I thought some of you might enjoy a few photos of some recently metamorphosed Ambystoma. The smaller individual is a blue-spotted salamander (Ambystoma laterale), and the larger individual is a tiger salamander (A. tigrinum). Both emerged from the same pond on the same day, in Livingston County, Michigan. They were later released where they were found.

Ambystoma_metamorphs_July2006SIG.jpg

The tiger salamander metamorph had a regenerating front limb.

Normal limb:
A_tigrinum_metamorph_right_sideSIG.jpg

Regenerating limb:
A_tigrinum_metamorph_left_sideSIG.jpg

D

dane

those are cool, neat-o!!

(Message edited by Dane_Zu on July 28, 2006)

B

brandon

Hey Mike,

I live in Pinckney, Mi in Livingston Co. and am a fellow herp. fanatic. I have been searchin for vernal ponds in the spring looking to photograph tiger salamander courtship but haven't had any luck. I thought maybe you could help me out by givin me some good locations. Thanks alot

Brandon

J

joan

Brandon, giving out exact locations is often frowned upon. Most people asking for exact locations just want to go and collect animals for sale. If you really want to find them, you will have to keep looking.

Courtship usually happens in February or March, the first rain of the spring.

B

brandon

Joan, I'm a Biology student at CMU and thanks for the accusations but i'm all about preserving wildlife not capturing and selling it to people who don't truly appreciate its beauty. Is this how you treat all members. You are the one who is being frowned upon. Anyway my message was to Mike, if you live in the Livingston CO. area and ever want to go looking for cool stuff to photograph let me know.

J

joan

Brandon, I never accused you of anything, only gave you the reasons why giving out locality data is not acceptable practice in the herpetological community. You have a long way to go in 'preserving wildlife' if you're going to jump to such conclusions.

ali

Reaction score
Brandon, Joan was trying to help you out. We all have to remember that unless someone says something very direct online, they probably don't mean any harm. Typed speech can be easily misunderstood.
If Joan treated members poorly, or was frowned upon, I doubt she would have been around so long. Joan does an excellent job of helping out, and has personally helped me out alot in my care and keeping of newts.

(Message edited by cortana on August 16, 2006)

mike

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for the compliments on the photos, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Brandon,

I sent you an email with some information. When you get some salamander photos, be sure to post them here for the rest of us to enjoy!

Also, Joan's approach is the correct one. For many reasons, it is generally not a good idea to post specific pond localities on message boards such as this one.

All the best,

Mike

A

alexandra

ali, i have a newt just like yours, at least the one in the picture. I've been one this gallery part looking for my newt type.
What type is your newt?

A

alexandra

My newt is 5 1/2 inches including her tail. I was taking a picture but she just could keep still! all the pictures were blury.

K

kara

Livingston County Michighan...that is so so close to me and i have never seen any!! I am looking more and more...going on walks in the marshes...any advice on how to look?? I am so so interested in the ambystoma species right now...I really enjoyed your photos Mike.

mike

Reaction score
Hi Kara,

One of the best times of year to observe Ambystoma in nature is during their breeding season.

For our area, that will usually be around March. They generally breed in temporary ponds and marshes that are surrounded by enough woodland to support and adult population. If you visit these ponds on damp nights during the breeding season you may be lucky enough to spot some adults moving to the pond, or actually in the pond breeding.

You may be able to find local nature centers that have programs where a naturalist takes people out at night to observe the breeding salamanders.

Outside of the breeding season, you can sometimes find Ambystoma under logs and rocks in forests. If you go looking for them under logs and rocks, it is critical that you replace the logs or rocks exactly how you found them. Otherwise you destroy that habitat for the salamanders and other animals that live under the logs. Also, be sure that you only look for salamanders in places that permit this. For instance, the managers of many parks do not want you disturbing the habitat.

Good luck,

Mike

B

brandon

Does anyone know around this time of year do you usually see more blue spotted salamanders than tiger salamanders. Because in my search to find some tigers all i have been coming up with are blue spotted. I've been looking around some nice vernal ponds but have found nothing. I've found nice big burrowing holes under some logs are those tiger holes? How far away from vernal ponds to tigers burrrow? thanks for any info.

Brandon

E

edward

Depending on the locality potentially more than a mile.
The larger holes are more likely to be due to rodents than anything. Typically ambystomids inhabit an abandoned hole as opposed to digging thier own.

Ed

B

brandon

so most likely the place i was looking has tiger salamanders that come to use the vernal pond in the spring they just burrow really far away from the vernal pond itself and blue spotted salamaders come out of their burrows in fall more?

D

dane

no, blues come out in the spring too, but I have found them under logs, I dont think they really burrow as much as tigers do

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!