Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axie spitting food after some time three days in a row

Axieu

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new axolotl owner and my axie is about 10-12 cm lenght. For a month he was feeling ok, eating ok (krills) every day. Now he stated to spit out food. He spit out food not just after eating but after 6 or even 12 hours after eating. Next day he still wants to eat, but again after half a day he spit out food. He is spiting out food for three days in a row. He became less active when started spitting out food. He still moves around tank but not so intensively when before (when he was eating ok). He used to swim a lot in his tank before feeding time, now he is less active. He looks normal (gills ok, not curled tail). Water is ok (0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate).
I am starting to worry about that spitting out food after half a day for three days.
Waiting for any advice.
Thank you!

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
are you able to get another food to try? krill is a saltwater animal generally (i imagine you mean something like brine shrimp or wild krill) and axolotls are freshwater animals so i would think perhaps something else might temp them to eat more.

at that length they can eat bloodworms or even pieces of larger worms, you might even want to try pellet food at this point but i think your little guy has outgrown his current diet

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!