Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marbled bleeding from tail

tindomul1of9

Reaction score
I have two Marbled salamanders and lately (for the past 4 weeks or so) they have both been highly visible, a definite change in behaviour. Which also allowed me to see I have been feeding too many wax worms. The one with the greyish stripes ( I suppose this is a female) is obviously obese. Today, I took a close look and she was bleeding from a few spots in her dorsal side of the tail. Is this a disease I should be worried about, or bites from the male? I am assuming bites because she otherwise looks normal. I picked her up and flipped her over to see if she would flip herself back, and she did and tried to escape. Even tried to bite me. What should I do??? I haven't seen the boy today, so I don't know how he is doing.

Please help, Clueless and don't know where else to turn.

P.S. I did see she had a swollen cloaca, or maybe that makes it a boy???

tindomul1of9

Reaction score
I think I just realized what happened, I threw in some adult crickets into the tank not too long ago.
What do i do to prevent infection?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You could probably go about this one of two ways. Option A is to just keep an eye on it and see how it goes or option B would be to use Neosporin. If the bite marks aren't to bad then I would go with option A. However, if you choose to go the Neosporin route, then make sure you get the kind WITHOUT the pain relief ingredient. Oh, also if you choose the Neosporin then it's easier if you seperate the female and keep her in a simple setup, i.e. moist unbleached paper towels and a hide.

later,
Justin

tindomul1of9

Reaction score
I was acutally reading up on all those articles and now what I thought was obesity is what I now know to be bloat. My marbeled's condition has very quickly deteriorated from semi active to not active at all. Im not sure if its still alive. When I was sure it was still breathing, I put it into some amphibians ringers solution. However now it seems to be dead or mostly dead. I don't think she is going to make it.
And now I am worried about the other one. They both started acting strangely at the same time, and I have not seen the other one is some time now. I have no clue where they go to hide, sometimes they just disappear for a few months. I hope the other one is ok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1