Use of Carbon Filtration POLL (Not for Axolotl keepers)

Do you use activated carbon filtration in your non-axolotl tanks?

• I use activated carbon pellets.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I use activated carbon impregnated filter media.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I use a combination of pellets and impregnated pads.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I only use carbon in adult tanks.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I only use carbon in rearing tanks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not use carbon in my filters.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I do not use filters.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Johnny, get out of the basement and go outside or something.

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Please be honest here folks. This is for a preliminary "study" I am putting together while my other research projects are delayed for various reasons. Multiple responses are allowed.

This is POLL 1 of 3
In advance: Thank you for your responses.

I've said that I use pellets and impregnated media, but I don't use carbon in all my filters; do you want me to edit my response to tick the 'I don't use carbon in my filters' box as well?

C

Nope, that is fine. No need to get too perfect just yet. This is preliminary data collection as I plan to use the entire Community to test one of my wild mad-scientist theories.

In other words: "Good enough for Government work!"

I use carbon in filter pads that include carbon (because otherwise I'd just have to throw it away). Otherwise not, usually, unless I feel like it. Good luck figuring that out!

I use air-operated foam filters that don't lend themselves to adding chemical media. I would perhaps use carbon to mop-up tannins from bogwood but I'd rather have slightly coloured water and low current..

I don't really use carbon. I used to, but could never see any difference with or without. I'm not convinced that it does anything at all. I think it's a placebo effect - if you're convinced it does something, that's what you'll see :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back