Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Surface Floating

JK06

Reaction score
Hi, I’m a newbie axolotl owner having bought two that are about 3 months old. I’ve just transferred then into a 10 litre tank, to allow them to grow a little more, and have a perspex divider to keep them separate. So both are sharing the same water.

One axolotl is larger than the other and is standing on the sand at the bottom of the tank. The smaller one is either: standing on a plant higher up the tank or; floating at the surface or ; standing on the sandy substrate.

The position of the smaller one does seem to be a choice because it will swim down if disturbed. I was worried about oxygen levels or poor water quality but both axolotls are sharing the same water and only the smaller one is heading for the surface.

So my question please is ... is it normal for small axolotls to spend time at, or near, the surface?

Thanks for any help
JK

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!