Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caudata.org Move? Your feedback requested

A

alex

hmm, now that you mention it there was one point where i could not get onto the site.
id say the same as kaysie, whatever is best.

J

john

You couldn't get to the site Alex because you were suspended for posting too much. Don't make it happen again. You are limited to 5 posts per 24 hour period Alex because of your behaviour in the past.

A

alex

hi john
that was after that whole incident, about 1 week ago. after i was allowed on again, when it said something about the server.

A

audrey

Just wanted to say that I read this site at least 5 times a week and I have never had problems.
- but whatever is best for the site, thanks

J

jennifer

About 5-10% of the time, when I click on a forum link, the page never loads. If I go back and click it again, it loads normally. Same with the "post message" link - occasionally it doesn't work, and I have to click it a second time. These things did not happen with the previous ISP we had, and I don't have this problem with other sites. Then again, the problem is only a very minor annoyance.

I hope you are able to find us a reliable and reasonably-priced ISP. Thanks, John.

J

john

We haven't changed ISP in several years. We just changed machines at that ISP. I never have site loading problems (with the exception of very rare site outages, which don't really count). The reason I'm asking for feedback is to hear about stuff like this.

Who else has page loading problems? Please be descriptive.

-John

J

jim

I have experienced the exact same two problems Jen is talking about. The page will load eventually, but sometimes it takes several minutes. That is what I meant by "painfully slow load times" in my previous post.

M

mark

I’ve experienced slow load times, sometimes to the point where I get a discus error moaning about the number of users connected to the database. I’ve also had the odd time when it times out completely to the standard IE “page cannot be found" error whist the domain remains up and pingable.

On the whole I’d say reliability is good and the downtime or “slow” time over the past 12 months has been minimal. If customer service wasn’t an issue I’d be tempted to stay with the current ISP. How does the current ISP compare price wise with other ISPs?

J

john

I've decided to change forum software and along with it we'll be getting some compatible chat software. I've settled on vbulletin but I haven't decided on an ISP.

The plan right now is that as soon as I pick the ISP I will start moving things over there. You won't know I'm finished until I make an announcement here. I do not know when this will start or when it will end. It may take a few months.

Feedback please - if you don't like my forum choice please say why and what you might suggest instead.

J

jonathan

I think this is a good choice. I like the look and feel as well as the performance of php bulletin boards. You'll also find that a lot of open source php tools are available to add small features that you might want at some later date. (like chatrooms, but I see that will come with this package)
As for vbulletin specifically, I have no knowledge.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Another board I frequently post to is powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.3. I particularly like the look and feel of that board and ease of navigation.

A

abrahm

I like the vBulletin forums. It will be odd to use the more standard forum code instead of the ones I've learned to use here. vBulletin is a fine choice with me.

hunter

Reaction score
John,
I have never had problems with this site. It loads well, and the functionality and tools are great.
If you choose to move, please make sure that it is at least as good as what you have put together here.

C

chris

Hi John,
I have not had any problems with the site in any way.
What ever you decide, will only be of benefit to
a site that is already great.
Chris.

J

jay

Can i ask, if the site is moved will it still have the same or similar name and will our accounts still be there.

J

john

Jay: The site is moving server, not changing names or anything. It has moved twice before since it began in February 2001. The site has always stayed the same. The first move was because the company I was working for was hosting the forum and they went out of business (!!). The second time was because the hosting company got pretty mean. This time is because we're basically too popular!

Regarding accounts, seemingly I can import the old forum to the new vbulletin forum.

J

jay

Ok great. I was worring i wouldn't be able to find the forum again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!