Worm bin and potting soil

kay

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
The Newtiest Girl
Hi guys, quick question for you. I am creating my first worm bin to hold canadian nightcrawlers. I went to home depot and bought Premium Nature Mix by Hortibec. The ingredients read: peat moss, humus, compost, and perlite. It also sayd this is organic mix. I opened up the bag and saw those white balls, im assuming is perlite.

Is this potting soil ok to use? Or do I need to throw it out. Thanks for your help.

Kay.

If it's just used in the worm culture then it should be OK. If you decide to use it, make sure you rinse off the worms before you feed them out. Perlite is volcanic glass and therefore poses a HUGE impaction risk if your critter were to accidentally ingest a piece or two.

Justin: thanks a lot. From what I was reading, I knew it was unsuitable as regular substrate in tanks, but there was no specific discussion on worm bins. If that's the case and you agree it would probably be ok, I can just go ahead and sift the permit out as an extra precaution.

Jan: I had no idea that I couldnt use nightcrawlers... There goes that plan :S I will do more research. Off the top of your head, do you know which ones can be maintained successfully in a worm bin?

Red wigglers will do just fine in a worm bin.

I keep my worms in a container of garden soil and mixed in composted manure. I buy the Wal-Mart "Trout Worms" since they're of a manageable size and tend to live a long time in good care. I keep mine on a concrete floor by a window, where cool air radiates off the windows (it's winter right now). Cool concrete can keep it cool if you have enough substrate for them.

I've actually had a couple of batches of worms that I bought a month and a half ago that are doing well and not dying off. I make sure to check for any dead worms, since it stinks and isn't healthy for the others.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back