Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aestivation ???

yiorgos

Reaction score
Hello everybody
i would like to ask if anybody knows why my marmoratus stoped eat for two months now.
i live in a hot place but not really too warm.
before the two months they were eat like crazy (earthworms) and now they are realy fat enough
they are all around the enlosure so they dont sleep...
but still dont eat .
i keep them for a year now and i would like to know if this a normal symptom of summer aestivation
thanks in advance

Niels D

Reaction score
They do get in rest in summer and this can result in the animals to stop eating, but there are more reasons for your animals to lose their appetite. Do you know the temperatures they are getting now and do they get some cooling during the night? Maybe you can post some pictures.

yiorgos

Reaction score
thank you very much for your reply...
the temp are about 20 c day and night...these days i notice the my marmoratus are more active but still not eating.
photos are coming.....

Niels D

Reaction score
20c isn't that much of a problem. If the animals look healthy than it is plausible that they are in rest mode. Keep an eye out for signs of emaciation or illness though.

Jort

Reaction score
My marmoratus always have a period in the summer that they refuse to eat. They start eating after it gets cooler. Sometimes they do accept waxworms though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!