Abnormality in T. marmoratus.

R

rodrigo

One of my juvies has this abnormality in the orange stripe that goes down their spine. Also it´s head has a way different shape than the other´s. I´ve never really worried since it eats great, grows normally and doesn´t act any different. But i´d like to know if any of you had seen any other cases like this one and if it means some kind of issue for the newt(to be prepared if something happens). As i said it acts normal and is voracious, but while the others have slight differences in the shape of the head (love that each one is unique) this one truly has a weird shaped head. Yeah i know i´m paranoid :p

81741.jpg

81742.jpg

81743.jpg

excuse the bad quality....i never seem to find the right angle and light always ruins them...:S

Weird. Maybe a deformation during development? If you think of how the colors migrate, maybe this was a neural crest damage, causing the kink in the line, and the weird shape in the head. But I have no idea, really.

That was my first thought...the spine dividing in two or maybe some kind of kink. Mostly because it´s right in the end of the skull. But it moves normal. And i guess a kink or a bifid spine would seriously affect it´s movement.So far it doesn´t look like anything that affects it...but i wonder if it will develop into something serious.

I showed this to a herp-minded friend of mine, and all he could say was "wow, that's weird". He jokingly brought up 'parasitic twin', and we had a laugh.

It does look like a congenital defect of some kind, which would probably not affect survival. However, I feel obliged to mention that T. marmoratus seem to be predisposed to spinal kinks, which in some cases get worse over time and eventually lead to death. Hopefully, this newt does not have a problem of that kind.

sad.gif

When i arrived home this afternoon(been away for two days) i fed them all and checked on this one....i saw signs of difficulties moving it´s left back leg. It seems to have some trouble putting it into a normal position...when it walks it´s foot gets torn. It can walk and the other legs move normally....but that one really looks like it´s making an effort to move it. I hand´t noticed it before so it´s a recent condition, or i had just missed it(they never really move too much unless at feeding time).I hope it doesn´t go any worse...i´d hate to loose it...

If you search the forum archives, you can probably find other posts about marmoratus with spinal problems and/or movement difficulties.
sick.gif

Thank you Jen....i´ll take a look. I´ve been observing it every day and it doesn´t look any worse. Actually depending on the day it seems like the problem vanishes or becomes obvious. Anyway what has to be will be....so i´ll keep it well fed and as happy as i can and hope for the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back