Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Small Alpine Newt

I

iain

I recently got 2 1.5-2" Italian Aline Newts. At the moment they are being kept in a 36" tank with 3 firebellies. But they wont't eat any of the frozen bloodworm I offer them
Any advice?

Y

yago

Why don't you try chop earthworms and very small crickets? Try to feed them at night, just leave the alive food in the tank. Hopefully you will have a nice surprise in the morning, a nice belly!
happy.gif

S

steve

I didnt know Italians DATED Chinese girls.

*Of course the dinners would BE GREAT.

steve

K

kai

I'm with Yago: Use live food - at least until they've settled down nicely. If they are reluctant to take frozen stuff you can try to get them interested by offering it with tweezers. Another strategy is to mix old/new food before feeding so they get accustomed to the flavor of the new food.

I'd recommend to get the Triturus a separate tank though...

Best wishes,
kai

Y

yago

I also give live tubifex to my C/B t. alpestris cynery. I fill up 1 cm of water in a small plate with the tubifex, which I put in their terrarium. They love to get in and take the moving tubifex.
good luck
P.D.
Italins always date any girl! Sorry Marco ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1